Egr bypass EB Xr8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 01:30   #1 (permalink)

Egr bypass EB Xr8

Has anybody disconnected the water heating hoses to the egr plate.Ihave recently done this and noticed a huge difference in fuel economy. Is there any way of tricking the egr to think that the water heating is still present. Possibly a resistor in the wiring or some other mod.
BLKEBXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 15:27   #2 (permalink)
'94 ED XR8 Sprint Manual

Re: Egr bypass EB Xr8

hmm. Also interested. I removed mine ages ago but did not notice a fuel consumption issue.
Old 11-29-2005, 20:03   #3 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

The coolant lines to the EGR spacer are only really used to cool the incoming Exhaust gases so there should be no real difference in economy IMO. There is also no way the computer can tell if you have disconected the coolant pipes, only the EGR valve itself. It is a common misbelief that removing the EGR actually helps at all, in fact all that removing it does is makes the engine more likely to ping as well as increase fuel usage.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 00:03   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
The coolant lines to the EGR spacer are only really used to cool the incoming Exhaust gases so there should be no real difference in economy IMO. There is also no way the computer can tell if you have disconected the coolant pipes, only the EGR valve itself. It is a common misbelief that removing the EGR actually helps at all, in fact all that removing it does is makes the engine more likely to ping as well as increase fuel usage.

Cant see how this can be because there is no exhaust gases that come close to the EGR valve . To me it looks as if the water that runs threw the spacer actually heats the EGR & then sends a signal to the computer to lean out the mixture.
BLKEBXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:46   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKEBXR8
Cant see how this can be because there is no exhaust gases that come close to the EGR valve . To me it looks as if the water that runs threw the spacer actually heats the EGR & then sends a signal to the computer to lean out the mixture.

I thought that to, but the gases come into the EGR from a hole inside the intake manifold, obviously you would not see it unless you took the TB off.

To be honest I removed the pipes too, the only difference I found was s slight drop in running temp, lot of people will argue if thats true or not but there was a difference without it. Note I think it was more prominent cause i had a worn thermostat as soon as I replaced it it made very little diff so I re-connected the pipes. As far as fuel goes, I lost fuel economoy no gains.
And you'll definitely loose more if you disconnect the EGR sensor.

Power - 190rwkw
1/4 Mile - Coming Soon

I JUST MUNCHED A 14.2SEC TWIN TURBO SUPRA.....TWICE. GO THE BOSS.
XR8GN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:27   #6 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKEBXR8
Exhaust gas is piped through the EGR port in the heads and intake manifold, if you take the valve off you will see the port. As I said the coolant lines are there to reduce the EGR temps (it is also suppose to help in very cold climates but thats not an issue in Australia) and the EEC has no way of knowing if they are attached or not. IMO leave the EGR system alone, it really only has positive results in most cases.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 19:51   #7 (permalink)
BA Barracus

i have had a bit of experience with egr valves and why they can cause excessive fuel consumption when removed or blocked off.
EGR valves were implemented to reduce exhaust emissions in mid to late seventies here in australia on all local and import vehicles.
The egr is activated by a vacuum diaphram from the carby or on efi from the manifold or upper plenum, some use a isolating solenoid to stop egr opening at cold engine temps, or to open it from the ECU. They mostly open in the mid, or high rev range, but can fully open with wide open excelerator at low rpm(low vacuum).

On the 4.1 six in the XF(efi), it is common to find the runner tube blocked with carbon and nitrites, from the exhaust passing throught the egr into the upper plenum, this will cause error code(code34) when interogating the ECU.
How the ECU knows the egr is not flowing is because the engine speed will be higher, then if the egr was open.

In reply to the first thread, without the EGR the engine will run richer, you can remove the EGR or block it off, but remapping the ECU will be required to bring the engine back into optimum state of tune, as the ECU is programmed to run with a EGR, and also that vehicle complys with ADR's in relation to Exhaust gas recirculation. i would consult your local automotive engineer and get second opinion. good luck
Old 01-27-2006, 05:26   #8 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Or you could just buy a manifold spacer and omit the erg hole. Simple ive done it to mine and dont have any probs. the comp still gets a signal from the erg valve.

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 14:44   #9 (permalink)
Forced Falcon

My mate had an EB XR8 manual and it ran 14.4 and all it had done was exhaust extractors manifold spacer, cold air ,disconnected egr and water lines, car was still great on fuel. EL GT's had the water lines disconnected if we all remember and a manifold spacer and better extractors

EB GT Black Manual with Sunroof Build Number 98

BA Fairmont Ice Mint Silver
EATURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 22:30   #10 (permalink)

Re: gt eb

Hi

Not sure if this is an old msg but saw the EB GT Black Manual with Sunroof Build Number 98 is this for sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EATURBO
My mate had an EB XR8 manual and it ran 14.4 and all it had done was exhaust extractors manifold spacer, cold air ,disconnected egr and water lines, car was still great on fuel. EL GT's had the water lines disconnected if we all remember and a manifold spacer and better extractors
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech