EL 5.0 TPS testing ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2003, 20:50   #1 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

confused EL 5.0 TPS testing ?

Hi all,

I can't seem to track down a procedure to test the TPS . . .
I've found that the resistances should roll between 500 and 3k ohm (open to closed), but not too sure which pins to measure.
Same as per voltage, know what I should have, but not where to measure it . . .

Suggestions ?

Thanks !
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2003, 23:38   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: EL 5.0 TPS testing ?

Resistance is checked between the black and green wires and should be from 500-600 Ohms closed, to 3000-3500 Ohms open.

I wouldn't worry about the resistances too much, mainly test the voltage output. Poke a pin or something sharp into the black and green wires on the tps. Measure the voltage between the black and green wire with the ignition on, engine not running and it should be 0.95-0.98v. If it is out of this range, loosen the tps bolts and turn the tps to get the correct reading (you may have to drill the tps holes a little bigger to allow you to do this). If you want, then you can open the throttle to wide open and check the voltage which should above 4.0v.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 21:50   #3 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Thanks !
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 01:49   #4 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
Resistance is checked between the black and green wires and should be from 500-600 Ohms closed, to 3000-3500 Ohms open.

I wouldn't worry about the resistances too much, mainly test the voltage output. Poke a pin or something sharp into the black and green wires on the tps. Measure the voltage between the black and green wire with the ignition on, engine not running and it should be 0.95-0.98v. If it is out of this range, loosen the tps bolts and turn the tps to get the correct reading (you may have to drill the tps holes a little bigger to allow you to do this). If you want, then you can open the throttle to wide open and check the voltage which should above 4.0v.
I still cant seem to test the voltage on mine. When you say to poke something sharp into the green & black wire, which green and black wire do you mean. The TPS has two plugs, Both are the same. One sits at top and has green, black and orange wires, and the other plug sits at bottom near the blade. That too has green, black & orange wires. Do you need to poke one pin in the green wire and another pin in the black wire at same time then measure? How is it done, im confussed if ya cant already tell......
Old 11-17-2003, 03:40   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

One side to earth [or black wire] then peirce wire green wire koeo [reds] should read just under 1v if you pierce the orange wire it should read 5v.I may have my colours wrong but you should work it out. Make sure your m/meter is on correct setting.. While holding m/meter on the green wire, open throttle and it should go up to 5v..On my car it's on the top of throttle body...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...

Last edited by ebxr8240; 11-17-2003 at 03:42.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 04:56   #6 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
I still cant seem to test the voltage on mine. When you say to poke something sharp into the green & black wire, which green and black wire do you mean. The TPS has two plugs, Both are the same. One sits at top and has green, black and orange wires, and the other plug sits at bottom near the blade. That too has green, black & orange wires. Do you need to poke one pin in the green wire and another pin in the black wire at same time then measure? How is it done, im confussed if ya cant already tell......
I guess your car is an auto then. Autos run 2 tps's on top of each other, 1 for the trans computer, one for the EEC. The EEC is the one you mainly want, but you should set both anyway. Test the voltage between the black and green wire coming from the same TPS (1 pin in the black, 1 in the green). As ebxr8240 said, the black is ground (sort of, its actually a ground reference point of the EEC so I was told to use the wire, not just ground the multimeter probe as you could get a slightly different result). It is hard to push the pin or whatever you are using in far enough to make contact, make sure it is pushed in far enough.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 16:23   #7 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
It is hard to push the pin or whatever you are using in far enough to make contact, make sure it is pushed in far enough.
Your dam right about that, I have to find something sharp enough as the pin im using keeps flexing. And yes, car is auto and has two tps's
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech