EL V8 potential? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2003, 04:04   #1 (permalink)
Vic
Underachiever in training

EL V8 potential?

Howdy all, I hope this is the right category for the EL 5L engine?

I have read that the power output of the 5L V8 for the EL Fairmont is 165kw and is really not much more than the 157kw produced by the I6 engine.
What can you do to the 5L to increase the output of the engine without increasing the fuel input?

For example adding extracors and larger exhaust would contribute how much more power? The same question for a mild cam?
I have also read a little on different air induction methods but am not fully aware of the potential there. Would these items improve the output performance of the 5L without increasing the fuel expenditure?

I am keen to learn some basics here and am hoping that you guys might be able to point out what you consider obvious, to me.
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2003, 04:18   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: EL V8 potential?

All E-series Falcon V8's are Winsor engines not cleveland's. Take a look through the Winsor forums there is plenty there. Firstly yes the V8 is only slightly more powerfull than the I6, but IMO is much more flexable and has more useable torque throughout the rev range. But they are expensive to mod.

First thing you will want to do is get some pacemaker extractors and either a single 2 1/2" or twin 2 1/4" exhaust. The factory extractors and exhaust are terrible. Next look at a K&N panel air filter replacement and an EL XR8 intake snorkle. Both these mods will give you a decent power increase and lower fuel consumption.

The stock cam is quite a good cam and will make good power if the engine is able to breath a bit better. Next look at some high lift 1.72 YT roller rockers ($500). After that it starts to become expensive, look at a new better flowing intake (Edelbrock, Trickflow, FMS) which will set you back around $1100, and if possible some new heads ($1000 for iron GT40P's or $2500+ for alloys). Then larger MAF, TB etc... depends on how much you want to spend.

Rather than intake, heads etc... you may want to look at upgrading the diff ratio. I think the Fairmonts run a 3.23 ratio, so upping that to the XR8/6 3.45 ratio will give you more punch off the line without too much impact on fuel.

Last edited by EDXR8; 12-02-2003 at 04:21.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:29   #3 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

I've got the Fairmont Ghia and it's a 3.45 ratio diff, you may have the same in your Fairmont. I've done pacemakers, K&N, 2 1/2" Mandrel bent cat back, electronic shift kit, EL GT snorkel and advanced the ignition timing on mine. Next I'm looking at underdrive pulleys (quite cheap really) and then possibly YT roller rockers. I recommend the pacemakers for the sound improvement alone! and don't be afraid to go with a single straight through muffler (that's what I've got). It is a quite engine and you will be dissapointed otherwise.

Welcome to the forums!
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:32   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Only the Fairmont Ghia's had the 3.45 ratio's along with other tickford parts. The fairmonts got the base V8 with standard diff.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:34   #5 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

what other goodies did the 5.0 Ghia get over the Fairmont? Any engine differences?
Old 12-02-2003, 15:57   #6 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

between the 6's the engine differences were only the normal 6 motor in fairmont and the xr6 motor in the ghia.
The V8's were pretty much all the same in those catagories. Except the EL's V8's came with a little bit more power over the EB-D V8's.

Check out my sig below for the current run down of what Ive done to my car. |
|
|
V
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 23:32   #7 (permalink)
Vic
Underachiever in training

I'm a bit of a noob to the mechanicals of a car and I didn't know that the 5L was a Windsor, sorry! ( thanks for the info though )

I have been reading your replies and would like to know if you guys can give me some output guesses for each of those mods in KW. Its not that the figures are the only things that impress me, its just that having the KW guesses give me a better idea of the potential for change for each of those mods and then I can look at how to pay for them to get the most bang for my buck.
If getting a different air filter and intake snorkel reduces the amount of fuel consumed then thats a mighty big plus in my thinking when shelling out for fuel at the servo.

How would porting go with the appropriate extractors by the way? Wouldn't that help the engine breathe easier? What could I gain by doing that?
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 15:19   #8 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

They are just that... guesses. You'll most likely not even notice the filter and snorkel upgrades. Extractors you will notice, especially the sound

First I did filter, then snorkel, cat-back, advanced ignition timing, then extractors. Once youíve got the external breathing taken care of, then you should asses your aims with porting etc. Iím going to try an under drive pulley next
Old 12-03-2003, 17:01   #9 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

Just do the small things and it will add up in the end, but full exhaust and filter/snorkel would be the first and foremost thing.

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 17:16   #10 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

^^^what they both said^^^
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech