EL XR8 Mods - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2003, 18:18   #1 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

biggrin EL XR8 Mods

ELXR8 Series 1

Im about to book the car in to have the upper & lower intake manifold swapped with a AUXR8 explorer intake. Also have a set of ST2027 rockers which will go in too. My question is will all this setup be fine using the standard T/B 55mm and standard MAF 55mm for now.
Im planning on changing the T/B to AUXR8 70mm later on but i'll probably leave the MAF stock as then id have to change injectors to 24lb and maybe even the ECU.

Any ideas guys...
MKII240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2003, 20:03   #2 (permalink)
OFR #7

Re: EL XR8 Mods

The standard T/B is 60mm on your car.

The explorer upper and lower & ST2027's will be fine with the stock T/B and MAF. You just won't get as much power gain if you were also changing the T/B and MAF. Note however, that the overall gain you achieve will also depend on the type of heads, cam & exhaust you are running.

Also, you don't need to change the injectors if you change the MAF.

Mick

APS Stage II = 267rwkw = 12.16@118.5mph on street tyres
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 23:26   #3 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Re: Re: EL XR8 Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mick
The standard T/B is 60mm on your car.

The explorer upper and lower & ST2027's will be fine with the stock T/B and MAF. You just won't get as much power gain if you were also changing the T/B and MAF. Note however, that the overall gain you achieve will also depend on the type of heads, cam & exhaust you are running.

Also, you don't need to change the injectors if you change the MAF.

Mick
At the moment i'm running with the stock cam and stock E7 heads although car is equipped with pacemaker extractors along with a twin 2 1/4 exhaust system. What is the workaround for using a larger MAF that is calibrated for 24lb inj. Can a unichip be used here?
Old 08-21-2003, 00:26   #4 (permalink)

Thomas, we have been getting away with using the bigger body of the new MAF and stock electronics (calibrated for your injectors), ie unbolt the sensor out of your MAF and bolt it into the new MAF body, unichip is certainly helpful to retune, and you'll get a lot of extra benefit from having it there for areas outside of closed loop, but I think you'll be surprised (as we were) how closely the EEC relearns in the closed loop areas.
elxr8393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 00:33   #5 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Let us know how much extra power you make with your setup Thomas!

I'm keen to do something similar!
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 16:20   #6 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxr8393
Thomas, we have been getting away with using the bigger body of the new MAF and stock electronics (calibrated for your injectors), ie unbolt the sensor out of your MAF and bolt it into the new MAF body, unichip is certainly helpful to retune, and you'll get a lot of extra benefit from having it there for areas outside of closed loop, but I think you'll be surprised (as we were) how closely the EEC relearns in the closed loop areas.
I thought about doing that too. Buying a body of the MAF and using my electronic sensor from my MAF. I thought it still wouldnt run right as the the airflow would obviously be more. Car mite run too lean.
Old 08-21-2003, 16:47   #7 (permalink)

Thats what we thought, but it hasn't so far on our cars, we do though, use an AFR meter to make sure its ok.
Old 08-21-2003, 23:57   #8 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

I was told by a bloke that works in a Ford service and tune centre and he said that there is no point changing intake manifold and heads without setting up the breathing properly. i.e 70mm MAF, hiflow cats, bigger TB, 24lb injectors. He said that the power gain would not be substantial enough to warrant the cash outlay. Basically he told me to sort out the other issues before looking at maniflolds and heads so that everything will work as a package together.

Can anyone confirm this to be true? Would be wasting my cash to put on GT40's and edelbrock intake if my MAF, cats & injectors are stock?
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 00:22   #9 (permalink)

The cats will probably be your next restriction, but we are using std injectors here on a car with 180rwkw. The maf is an easy one anyway, per my other posts, use the guts out of yours and let the bigger body flow the air, it'll learn.
Old 08-22-2003, 00:26   #10 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

I changed my upper intake manifold, injectors, ECU, and MAF all at the same time on my EL2XR8. I had already upgraded to a 65mm throttle body a while back. Still stock heads/cam/rockers, but Genie headers and dual 2.5" exhaust. The new intake bits and ECU immediately upped power by around 8rwkW near peak, and closer to 10-15 right across the mid range. Torque kicked up quite substantially as well, no doubt helped by the upper intake and phenolic spacer.

I'm pleased with the results, but I got all the parts for a great price, and I wouldn't have done it if I had to pay retail!! Good gains but not worth it for RRP $$.

Not sure about this Ford service centre bloke, basically if the heads fit the intake, and they all flow better, then how can it not be an improvement!! :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech