elctric choke on Holley equipped 351 HO - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006, 13:30   #1 (permalink)

elctric choke on Holley equipped 351 HO

Hi all,
I have a 351W with a factory castiron HO mainfold and Holley 4V carb, approx 1986-88 vintage. This has been installed in a 1971 Mustang, and it runs well, but I need to know how to correctly hook up the electric choke.

A figure in a manual I have shows the choke hooked to a stud on the back of the alternator that has 0 Volts with engine off and alternator still, and 12+ Volts with engine and alternator spinning. My current unit is showing 1.5 Volts off and 12+ running. I am going to be getting a new alternator, as I think this leakage is the cause of my discharged batteries, but my main question is to the point of whether this is the correct Ford approved hookup point for an electric choke, or is there another way Ford does this. Chevys are easy with 2 oil pressure ports on the block, which is what I had thought to do on this install, but not enough room for 2 senders. Others have said hook it to the + of the coil or solenoid...

What is the correct way??? Help.

Best regards,
Tom
v8interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2006, 16:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: elctric choke on Holley equipped 351 HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8interceptor
Hi all,
I have a 351W with a factory castiron HO mainfold and Holley 4V carb, approx 1986-88 vintage. This has been installed in a 1971 Mustang, and it runs well, but I need to know how to correctly hook up the electric choke.

A figure in a manual I have shows the choke hooked to a stud on the back of the alternator that has 0 Volts with engine off and alternator still, and 12+ Volts with engine and alternator spinning. My current unit is showing 1.5 Volts off and 12+ running. I am going to be getting a new alternator, as I think this leakage is the cause of my discharged batteries, but my main question is to the point of whether this is the correct Ford approved hookup point for an electric choke, or is there another way Ford does this. Chevys are easy with 2 oil pressure ports on the block, which is what I had thought to do on this install, but not enough room for 2 senders. Others have said hook it to the + of the coil or solenoid...

What is the correct way??? Help.

Best regards,
Tom
The main reason it's connected to the alternator is so the choke is supplied with power only when the engine is running.

If you connected it to the ignition feed ie:coil when the ignition is on but the engine isn't running the choke would release so you may be trying to start a cold engine with no choke.

Also I think the output on the alternator is less than 12 Volts running or at least varies with engine speed.

Do not connect to coil for 12 Volt power feeds as this can affect your spark.

Hope this helps.

Greg.
GHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech