Electric Water Pump - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2004, 03:20   #1 (permalink)

Electric Water Pump

I know this has been brought up b4 but I'm doing some research on electric water pumps at the moment and wanted some opinions/advice. Firstly who are the makers of such a product other than davies craig. Secondly has anyone actually fitted one. I found the price of the davies craig one on their website to about $280 plus about $270 for the controller. Rang repco whom is one of the distributors and they quoted an extra $100 on top for the EWP and extra $100 for the controller. I can't justify $800 for this mod alone.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2004, 04:11   #2 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Re: Electric Water Pump

Hi mate and welcome to the forums.
the reason you dont hear of them much is the first Generation was prone to shaft breakages.
So after that alot of people have ben scared of.
I Was speaking to a bloke from a workshop in Canberra a few weeks ago and using a Gen2 EWP, they gained 13rwkw on a GEN3 holden V8.

Davies craig are the only ones i know of.
Also what car are you thinkingof fitting it to?
A Falcon six would be quite a big design job.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 16:20   #3 (permalink)

I've got one in my AU IL6. My first one i believe was the shaft breakage, they gave me a new one (gen2 i think), no questions asked and going well. It's a pretty big job fitting it and removing the impeller on the old water pump but gained significant increase in power.
am_bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 19:11   #4 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

How much did you pay for it am_bad?
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 19:37   #5 (permalink)

Considered this myself, and picked up the DG one and looked at it recently. Wasn't impressed with the quality and hard to justify the cost in my view. Seemed pretty flimsy to me, all plastic.

But I did notice in the new Summit Catalogue that I got the other day there are atleast 4-5 US ones, and they looked much more robust than the DG one going by the pictures. Made from billet aluminium.

Check them out on line at http://www.summitracing.com/

Last edited by STROKEXD; 03-10-2004 at 19:39.
STROKEXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 19:46   #6 (permalink)

Now this looks like something I would want to put on my car... This one is for a Windsor, cost is $259US. Eats the DG unit for quality...

Vendor: Moroso Performance Products, Inc.
Product Line: Moroso Billet Aluminum OEM Mount Electric Water Pumps
Material: Billet Aluminum

Add more power and cooling to your engine.

Ford: 289-351W, billet aluminum housing, powdercoated blue motor, electric water pump

This electric water pump moves up to 21 percent more coolant through the system than any competing pump. It mounts in the stock location with stainless steel mounting hardware and works with both 12 V and 16 V systems. It features a billet aluminum pump housing and impeller, heavy-duty windings, long-life brushes, a stainless steel shaft, sealed ball bearings, a blue powdercoated outer case, and a high temperature Viton seal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mor-63585_m[1].jpg (2.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 03-10-2004, 20:56   #7 (permalink)
Whats traction?

I have one on my cleveland, next to useless POS and total waste of $500 for the controller and pump.

It flows a lot of water but can't get enough pressure to feed the heater hoses properly and therefore, not enough to heat my LPG converter.

Tried making restrictors in the old water pump, installing a thermostat with a few holes drilled in it, etc to get the pressure up but it still wouldn't work.

Ended up having to buy a new water pump to replace the one i cut the impellers off and throwing the controller in the bin. I kept the water pump for cooling after drag runs/hot laps but thats it.

The instal took 5 hours, the pump interfered with the power steering pump and i've had to relocate it (3 hours), the davis craig supplied wiring loom was wired backwards (confirmed by one of their techs). Not impressed at all.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:14   #8 (permalink)

I'll be putting this on an EB II XR8, also been thinking about underdive pulley but thats another story. I already have El thermo fans, genies and exhaust. put out 156 rwkw's in shootout mode, don't know if anything has been done to the engine as I put it on the dyno the week after I brought it from this other guy
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:31   #9 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

am_bad can we get some pics of your setup?
and some more info.
You can email me @
tikfd6@hotmail.com
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 13:55   #10 (permalink)

Yep, i'll take pics on the weekend. I have the controller but dont use it, the car stays under the N on normal days and just a little over the N on those 40 degree days with the air con on! I got it from http://www.vpw.com.au/ they're a lot cheaper than repco the others. I have it sitting on the bottom on the radiator, its a real tight fit and is just wired up to the ignition.
am_bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech