eng temp playing up 5L efi - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2004, 23:59   #1 (permalink)

eng temp playing up 5L efi

my temp gauge is fluctuating,from its normal operating temp of one third up the gauge from cool(eb dash , needle sits on the 'o' of the normal lettering.)all the way up to the 'L'. i have pressure tested it and it holds 13psi for an hour.its not using any water or boiling the coolant over.sprk plugs out with pressure tester on and no water in cylinders.damn thing doesnt do it in the morning only in the reverse trip when ambient is hotter.new tstat didnt fix it and cooling system is clean.and yes when i put my gt40p heads on i did install the gasket the correct way.could the funky viscous hub thingo on my eng fan be rooted.
ebv888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 00:12   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: eng temp playing up 5L efi

Sounds like blocked radiator cores which happens as the radiator becomes old. It could also be a bad fan or viscous hub if you are still running the belt driven fan.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 00:22   #3 (permalink)

is there a factory type thermo fan conversion that can be done.which models had thermo fans.time for an exchange rad ithink mine is oe.
Old 11-16-2004, 00:42   #4 (permalink)

Yeah get an exchange radiator, being the original one you will probably find that less than half the cores are still open. You can do a thermo conversion, EF/EL's had thermo's standard and it is a straight forward change over. You will need the fans ($100-$150 from a wrecher) and a thermo switch ($40-60) to switch the fans on and off. Davies Craig make a quick and easy fitting one.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:58   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv888
my temp gauge is fluctuating,from its normal operating temp of one third up the gauge from cool(eb dash , needle sits on the 'o' of the normal lettering.)all the way up to the 'L'. i have pressure tested it and it holds 13psi for an hour.its not using any water or boiling the coolant over.sprk plugs out with pressure tester on and no water in cylinders.damn thing doesnt do it in the morning only in the reverse trip when ambient is hotter.new tstat didnt fix it and cooling system is clean.and yes when i put my gt40p heads on i did install the gasket the correct way.could the funky viscous hub thingo on my eng fan be rooted.
Had similar problem to this but only when going up long inclines on the Sydney to Canbera Hwy ended up being viscous fan hub .
BLKEBXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 23:45   #6 (permalink)

i pulled the rad out and took it to local shop and he took the tanks off in front of me and the rubbish that was in there was scary.exchanged it for a nice fat triple core unit at only 60 beans more.now looking for thermos.where do you pinch the power for the fans from?
Old 11-18-2004, 00:00   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv888
now looking for thermos.where do you pinch the power for the fans from?
You need to take a power run from the battery (10-20amps depending on fans) and an ignition switched positive (I took mine from the coil).
Old 11-18-2004, 00:14   #8 (permalink)

is it best to run the thermo switch in the circuit or a manual override type a better arrangement
Old 11-18-2004, 01:43   #9 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Depends, can you be bothered turning the thermo's on and off all day, and if someone else drives the car, will they do it??
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:26   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Get a temp switch which turns on around 85* or so..Connect it to relay negative...So earth switch's relay and fans turn on,other side of relay goes to battery with 20 amp fuse or c/b ....On sixes theres a plug in thermostate just for this..On V8's there's a place on thermostate also but needs tapping and drilling...Or purchase the Davis Craig thermo switch around $30-$40...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech