engine conversion Qs (another one) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2004, 15:01   #1 (permalink)

engine conversion Qs (another one)

ok here is the deal

351w block into I6 AU ...

Q1: are the 351 engine mounts the same as 302 or at least the bolt pattern position in teh same or similar spot?

Q2: AU 302w use same subframe as I6?

Q3: struttower clearances .. weill a 351 with 2" extra deck hight fit into an AU engine bay .. i have come to belive it fits into an EL, even thou the EL engine bay is tighter.

Q4: sump clearance, i am going to go with a high volume sump system, however will it be able to clear cross members?

any other suggestion or issues please tell

Old 10-16-2004, 04:29   #2 (permalink)
blue66coupe

Re: engine conversion Qs (another one)

No 1 = same posi same mount. 2 = don't think so mainly crosmember. 3 = must have some as in XP the clearance is tight as a fish's a$$hole so with low type semi strut towers clearance must be good as the clearance with 02's is heeps (compared to XP anyway...). 4 sumps is easy to make/modify so is not a prob. 5 Just do it, fargin awesome specially with 408 stroker dart block twin turbo's and 2800 HP, must be done too many brand X wankmobiles already about......
Old 10-16-2004, 04:29   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Q1 Mounts :: Same

Q2 Duno ??? Check at wreckers etc..I guess just the mounts are different..

Q3 Measure...You have the car..Tell us!!!

Q4 Will fit see the guys at Hi Energy sumps..Or weld some wings on std 351 sump.....
DON'T go any lower..our roads are crap and you'll hole a sump just when you realy can't afford to...

Q5 when this car is finished are we going to get a drive ???
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:50   #4 (permalink)
No longer around

sounds good, do ya have the engine, and are seriously contemplating this, or just thinking out loud.

coz if your actually doing it, good on you i'd love to see this kind of conversion. only ever heard of cars that had "been done years ago and are no longer around" so there arent any pics or anything to see it....

great to see someone doing something different
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:30   #5 (permalink)

yes its not just thinking around its for real ...

i got my order in for a 351W D2 bcasting, which is not a dart block as that would be too exy for my purpose, but being a D2 casting the nickel content is already higher and hence a stronger block. the sleeves will also stay fairly standard, as this engine will not eb boosted .. i wanna keep it street legal and road registered (as crazy as it sounds). also it wont be a 408 stroker, i will just go with the "mildly" 392. to get it road reg it will run on LPG full time, twin throttle gas research setup, twin mixers etc. as for cam and head it will remain a secret (and yes i do know what i want and what i get). compression ratio is expected to be between 12.5:1 and 13.0:1. target is 700HP NA and or 10.99 1.4mile run. once finished the car will be making its rounds at cars hows and street shootouts in QLD ...

no fake but reality ... hopefully finished bt march next year
Old 10-16-2004, 05:38   #6 (permalink)
No longer around

wow mate, keep us posted, (even if that means sending a pm !!!!!)

i was thinking of 351w into my NC but it went into the too hard basket
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 08:12   #7 (permalink)

lol ... nothing is too hard .. its just the way u look at it ...

na i am seriously sick of everyone bloody turboing or supercharging AUs ... it was a good idea 3 years ago when i wanted to do it, but now every C*** did it ... time for something unique ...

besides 10 sec NA is different
Old 10-21-2004, 19:33   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

fyi.. Length Height? Width?
Moteur Longeur Hauteur Largeur
302 27-1/2 20-3/4 18-3/4
351W 27-1/2 23-3/4 21
4.6L SOHC 28 26 28-5/8
4.6L DOHC 28 29-7/8 30
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech