Engine Help Needed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008, 07:21   #1 (permalink)

Engine Help Needed

Hello all, I'm junyardferd and I am here for one reason. That is to learn more about putting my 351 windsor and 302 together as cheaply and powerful as possible.

First question. Why does matter what years certain parts are. I have a 79 block and would like to upgrade to better heads like a set from 69-70 or a set of gt40's. I have alot of machining capabiltiy.

2nd question. does it really matter if use a 302 cam shaft? Does changing the firing order really hurt?

3rd question. What would it take to put roller rockers on these heads. And roller cam upgrade.
junkyardferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 10:43   #2 (permalink)

Re: Engine Help Needed

I am also currently bidding on a ford parts interchange manual on ebay. Is this gonna help?
Old 05-13-2008, 22:46   #3 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Hi I will move this to the Windsor area.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:41   #4 (permalink)
Learning always

hi junkyardferd, nice to meet you and glad to see you on here. Although I am unable to answer the first two questions. The third I remember seeing, so I dug up the old page I saw it on. (as I've been looking into the possibility of making a 393 stroker kit with a hydraulic roller conversion in it )

Apparently there are a couple of companies that are making retro fit kits to make a non roller lifter engine into a roller lifter. I've seen advertised that Crane has this retro fit kit, you simply buy the kit and the matching cam and drop it in. It supposedly doesn't need any machining to fit in the block either.

I've also searched and Comp cams also offers this retrofit kit. The kit itself is a somewhat reasonable $54.65, but you have to buy the specific roller lifters which add an additional $230.25. Then you will need to find a small base circle cam, I'm sure if you talked to a representative, and told him what kind of lift, duration and other specifics you were looking for they could find the right cam for your project.

parts numbers for a quick search if you like are:

PART #851-16 - hydraulic roller lifter (it says 302 at the top, but if you look in the description you may choose the application from the list, in which
included is a 351W)

PART #31-1000 - hydraulic roller retro fit kit.

hope this is of some assistance for you.

~adam
amarthfea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:25   #5 (permalink)

Wow, great info. I really appreciate it amarthfea.

Now don't frown on this everybody but I am building these motors for demolition derby and would like em to be in the 250-275 range for horsey's. I already got rock solid loosey goosey bottom end's for the thermal factor.

Being demo motors and the enviroment they are going to be in. I would rather not be sinking tons of cash into these. Which is why the questions for swapping parts as alot of 302 parts are cheaper.

After all I am very sick of people telling me to go chevy. As I would like to prove them wrong.
Old 05-14-2008, 13:22   #6 (permalink)
Learning always

I do what I can. I did most of my research because I was looking to make about 500 horse power (at the crank), without having to make too many modifications to the front end of my car, unlike what dropping in a 429 or 460 would need done.

As for making 250-275 horsepower improved heads, maybe even a more radical cam and a better intake system will easily get you those extra 100 ponies I reckon.

as far as I have read about 79 the 351w were only producing about 150-170 horsepower.

~adam
amarthfea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 17:59   #7 (permalink)

Junkyardfred,my Name Is James And Me And My Son Just Have Finished A 351w.he's Putting It In A 64 Fairlane. I Think You May Want To Look At Some Optoins First,like How Much Is It Going To Cost? Is It Worth Putting Up Grades On That Motor Or Getting A Late Model Engine Out Of Newer Car That Has A Roller Motor In It.
fordmaverick74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 15:53   #8 (permalink)

302 have different crankshaft balances, somewhere in the 79 to 81 years balance changed from 28oz to 52oz. This means the crank, balancer, and flywheel or flexplate need to be matched sets of either 28 or 52oz. All 5.0 liters are 52oz. All ford v8 except 5.0liter and 351w or 5.8 liter engines are early ford firing order. Personally I like World Products cylinder heads, built very well, flow good and are about the same price as upgrading old Ford heads with larger valves and porting.
dnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech