Engine operating modes. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2004, 19:29   #1 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Engine operating modes.

Hi all.

Last night I installed a Jaycar Fuel Mixture Display kit. It works fine and is interesting to watch it working. It has 10 LED's. 2 red, 8 green and 2 yellow to show Lean to rich mixtures. It simply has a power, earth and an O2 sensor feed.

One question however. While driving it oscillates between lean and rich which suggests its in closed loop mode. It goes from full rich to full lean constantly. I guess that is normal. What is inetersting is on a dead flat road when I slowly apply throttle I can actually feel the car surge as it changes to open loop mode which is when the display stops ocsillating and lights either the last or 2nd last green LED before the 2 yellow 'rich' led's. What would be causing the surge? If the computer is in closed loop mode then shouldnt it be adjusting the mix constantly?
My engine isnt stock either. It has the explorer manifold, bigger throttle and 70mm maf with the stock eb electonics. Fuel pressure is 285kpa which is 35 kpa above stock

At the moment it is only monitoring the left bank so I want to get another and hook it to the right bank as well. I thought about getting a switch and making it switchable between banks but I think it would be better if I could watch both at the same time.
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2004, 03:53   #2 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Re: Engine operating modes.

i would hazard a guess to it being due to your mods with a stock computer.

so you know approximately what the lights mean? ie does the full rich LED indicate a 10:1 mix and the full lean LED indicate 17:1 or something? if its only a 'narrow' ranging device then that would explain why it goes full rich full lean, but if its a wide ranging one then i would be concerned that its going full rich to full lean at cruise - it should only waver from say 14:1 to about 15.5:1 at cruise at the most IMHO.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:19   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Engine operating modes.

I guess this is analog, digital would average the signal some what..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech