Engine Viration - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2004, 04:21   #1 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

Engine Vibration

Hey guys,

Recently we fitted a new LH engine mount because my car has been vibrating too much. Once it was out we did find it was dead.

However, even though that has eliminated most of the vibrations in the car I have found that at 1100rpm there is still a vibration at the engine in neutral or in drive. The vibration can actually be felt at idle, is most noticeable at 1100 and smooths out totally after 2k. Also note that vibration happens during deceleration which suggests it isn't a spark problem. I've had quite a few people look at it and even my mechanic is stumped; wants the car for a whole day. I replaced plugs, rotor + cap and still vibrating until I concluded it wasn't spark related.

Any ideas to what this could be? It really could be anything and I have been thinking the harmonic balancer or one of the other pulleys.

I've searched some Mustang threads and a lot have them have said the harmonic balancer. Today I had a little feel of the rubber and bits seem to be poking out. My mate also says he reckons it looks like it is vibrating, but he looked only when it was at idle. I hope it is the balancer as I don't really want to be replacing something internal..

I should also note that for some reason that my trip computer L/100km sensor has been saying I am using heaps of fuel as well even though I've been driving like a granny. I reset it a few times and it kept going to 16L/100km or higher even...

I would appreicate any ideas,
Cheers.

Last edited by One Ford Drone; 06-19-2004 at 08:38. Reason: Spelling and Grammar Errors
One Ford Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2004, 04:38   #2 (permalink)
No longer around

Re: Engine Viration

it isnt something simple like your exhaust hitting against the floor/rear bumper. this can give a vibration that fells like it could be coming from anywhere.
another wierd one that i had was my cold air induction pipe was rubbing against the power steering pulley, it was a really wierd feeling that went right through the front of the car.

like you said it could be anything.
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:43   #3 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

Well I am really just after ideas to tick off the list of things it can't be. I've tested the engine and tranny mounts whilst the engine is running and it doesn't appear that these are the cause of the problem.

At the moment I am contemplating buying a new Powerbond harmonic balancer because as far as I know there is no real way of testing to see if the balancer is dying or dead either than replacing it?
Old 06-19-2004, 16:21   #4 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

If I were you, I would be putting the balancer on quick smart, if you do have a faulty balancer, it will do internal damage.

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 19:20   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I suspect that balancer too. Have a good look at it, the one on my sprint was visibly coming apart. If you are game enough to wait , get some liquid paper or similar and write a long mark that covers both parts of the balancer and see if the lines start to separate.
I would actually just get a new one myself as the stock ones have been out there and on the car for a long time now.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:46   #6 (permalink)

how does the harmonic balancer work??

and how will it do damage??

I have a similar vibration

cheers.
xr8ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:37   #7 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

is the car auto or manual? i had a similar problem in a manual 6cyl. vibrated bad at 2500rpm and up in gear and neutral. replaced the balancer but it wasnt that. in the end it was the pressure plate/flywheel - one of them was stuffed when a new cluth was put in...also, there are a series of weights from memory that run around the perimeter of the plate so maybe one of them got knocked/fell off that may cause vibrations also.

if its auto though, not sure as my problem was wit a manual.
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:39   #8 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ted
how does the harmonic balancer work??

and how will it do damage??

I have a similar vibration

cheers.
as i understand it, the balancer basically evens out all the 'differences' in the rotating mass (crank, pistons etc)

correct me if im wrong.
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 15:43   #9 (permalink)

Yeh mine is a manual. I did get a new clutch put in it about a year and a half ago. Maybe the problem started then. I did think that it might be something to do with the flywheel, but the weird thing is that the vibration seems to go away after about 1700rpm. Half the problem was the air flow meter, that has fixed the idol up, but it still has a major virbration somehwere.

Anyone know how much a new balancer will set me back? And is there anyway to diagnose if the balancer is working incorrectly?
Old 06-22-2004, 20:41   #10 (permalink)

Another question. If i am going to replace my harmonic balancer, is there any aftermarket ones that are any better than the original ones. Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket/modified harmonic balancers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech