Ford Forums banner

Expected power

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  AU2XLSV8 
#1 ·
Hi guys
Its time I bit the bullet and start to do some mods to my EL XR8.
What sort of power can be obtained from the Ford Expolorer manifold from a AU II. Ohter mods will be injecters,TB, cam for starters, later when I can afford it I will get a new set of heads.
What I need to know is how much power will the Explorer mainfold support?

Thanks for any help

Regards
frl0173

#2 ·
One of the guys in the club has an EL2 XR8 that had 162 rwkw at the last club dyno day with Herrod extractors,exhaust and cam.Dunno what else he had done.This is with the Exploror intake.

#3 ·
I'd think you'd be lucky to see 5rwkW from manifold alone! With my EL2 I upgraded my upper intake manifold to a GT40 with a 10mm phenolic spacer, my MAF to 70mm, injectors to 24lb, and ECU to ELGT, and gained a peak 10rwkW and around 350N tractive effort (not a really precise measurement anyway). In the midrange the power was 15rwkW+ over previous power, and the seat-of-pants-o'meter suggests a much fatter midrange than before.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting to gain a lot at all in peak power from those mods - let's face it, you will get a bit more air coming in from all that, but at the end of the day the heads are still the big weakness in the stock EL's... that's what I'm looking at next!

Have you done your exhaust / manifold yet?

#4 ·
Mr Sparkel
You better believe it. Good heads make em rev like a rotory..Sound heaps better tho....

#6 ·
So having heads already ported heads(yes it does rev better) makes power to about 4500 ish before tapering off (seat of pants test) is it best to look bigger than my standard au2 manifold? or does it flow well enough? i have tested ef manifold and it dropped about 8-10 rwkw (long story).

#7 ·
Unless some serious porting etc is done on inlet and heads about 160 rwkw..From there or next step is aftermarket like AFR, Trick Flow, Edelbrock etc heads and inlets.Injectors and maf..

#8 ·
so with well ported gt40 heads and a change in manifold can i see the 200 rwkw mark easily enough! If so what manifold if i want to rev to about 6500 max. Thinking about Trick Flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.