Explorer Intake Manifold Results - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2003, 03:20   #1 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Explorer Intake Manifold Results *Dyno Results*

Well I have just completed the installation of the Explorer Intake manifold to my EL XR8. Apart from some minor hicups all went well. Many thanks to EL1XR8 for his notes and help. I however have encounted a problem and am im after some opinions on what may be the problem. Car idle is fine as i used my E series TPS and adjusted it a few times. Problem is under acceleration car seems to lag and not have maximum power available. It appears to rev freely but not accelerate like it should. I fiddled around with timing and found that setting the stock timing, the car pinged a little. After mulitple adjustments, I set timing to approx 23 degrees. This is pretty low but the car is achieving best performance there at the momment, but isnt still 100%
Im a little concerned and have booked the car for a dyno run the check things out and make sure there in order. I have checked all vacuum hoses etc and all appears fine.
On the note of getting it dynoed, the car before made 120rwkw with pacemaker extractors into a twin 2 1/4 system. Its auto too. Now while i did this manifold i also fitted a set of roller rockers ST2027's 1.72
Will have to wait n see what result she achieves after a dyno run.
I'll keep you guys posted and any comments on the problem are welcome.

Cheers
Thomas

Last edited by MKII240T; 11-19-2003 at 00:34. Reason: Update
MKII240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2003, 03:45   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: Explorer Intake Manifold Results

Having to set it at 23 degrees is a big problem. Generally you should be able to get 32-34 degrees without any problems. That must be the cause for your power loss. Be careful driving it before you get it dynoed, because it sounds like you might be running extremely lean causing the pinging. I wouldn't think a manifold and rocker change would cause this, but its worth being carefull.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 04:11   #3 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
Having to set it at 23 degrees is a big problem. Generally you should be able to get 32-34 degrees without any problems. That must be the cause for your power loss. Be careful driving it before you get it dynoed, because it sounds like you might be running extremely lean causing the pinging. I wouldn't think a manifold and rocker change would cause this, but its worth being carefull.
Well, I'll re-do the timing again to this level and check it out but im guessin it would still have this problem. I suppose its trial and error. And the car isnt being driven at all
Old 11-08-2003, 04:52   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

What maf are you running?? Did you disc battery for some time??? So KAM retunes for greater airflow etc...Was egr reconnected, if not the eec may fault..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 13:44   #5 (permalink)
OFR #7

I know you said that you have checked vacuum hoses etc. but I have had pinging problems when the PCV was not inserted into the manifold. Also check there are no air leaks between the MAF and TB, especially around the plastic resonator tube.

Are you 100% sure the dizzy was reinstalled correctly?

Looking forward to seeing some dyno results once you have soughted the problem out!

APS Stage II = 267rwkw = 12.16@118.5mph on street tyres
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 15:56   #6 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Yes I'd agree with Big Mick here, sounds definitely like something isn't properly connected or sealed.

I'm also interested to see how your "after" dyno run goes once the probs are sorted!
Old 11-08-2003, 20:28   #7 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Hey Thomas,

Here's hoping you can trace the problem fairly quickly! I'll be especially interested as I'll be doing the same installation hopefully in the next 2 weeks. Did you encounter any other problems?

One other thing, can anyone tell me the procedure for setting the timing on an EF V8? I know the EEC has to be put into some kind of diagnostic mode or something..
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 02:34   #8 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Hey guys,

I checked all over car agian all appears well. I re-correected the timing to the stock settings (going by the workshop manual) to 30 degress.
Took it for a spin and i noticed the power is picking up by it seems to be pinging. I then tried a further 8 times adjusting between 26 degress and 34 degress but i cant seem to over come pinging at mid-high revs. Power has built up now. Im not sure what was casuing yesterdays severe powerloss. I have left the timing on 27degress as the ping is less on this setting. I wont be driving the car at all but have got a dyno run booked in to check this out on sat morning. Im guessing somethings up with the Air/Fuel ratios. As EDXR8 mentioned, its awkward setting timing to 34 degress as on the pulley the marks only go up to 30 degrees.
I cut a new hose that was longer to the PCV inlet as the older one was too short and kept on coming out. Im now sure this ones in place and not going anywhere. There appears to be no air leaks anywhere including the Rubber tubing between T/B and MAF. By the way im running my stock MAF at the moment but still this shouldnt be giving me this problem
Old 11-09-2003, 04:11   #9 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigDog
One other thing, can anyone tell me the procedure for setting the timing on an EF V8? I know the EEC has to be put into some kind of diagnostic mode or something..
Yeah, you have to put the EEC into diagnostic mode. You do this by shorting the top left hand pin of the diagnostic port (fairly large white plug/port inside the car under the fuse pannel on the drivers side) to earth. Then turn the ignition on and start the engine. It will idle for a second or two, then it will rev up to around 2000rpm, this is the time to check your base timing and adjust it if needed. It only stays there for about 30 seconds or so, so have the timing light set up etc.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 04:16   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Unless maf is pegging out and can't program itself for the extra mass of air at lower rpm, which could be affecting the load program in eec ???
when ignition is set have you re checked to see total advance ?? Try 12* adv from tdc ???
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech