Explorer vs. Edelbrock Performer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2004, 17:44   #1 (permalink)
XR8 Owner

Explorer vs. Edelbrock Performer

Dunno if there was a thread on this, just wanted to know because i'm in the market for a manifold. Which will flow more? I reckon the performer will, but just wondered by how much?

And then how does the edelbrock go compared to the trickflow?

cheers
Simon
SiKEDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2004, 18:05   #2 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Re: Explorer vs. Edelbrock Performer

What? Your keeping the car afterall and beefing it up? Sweet!

I would say the Trickflows flow more, but then again I dont have flow comparisons.

EDXR8? ebxr8240? Racer? anyone?
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 18:14   #3 (permalink)
XR8 Owner

c the thing is i'm an au explorer manifold that someone has for sale so.... i know that trickflow's are the best but i want to know if they will flow "that" much better or if i can get away with porting the au ones....
SiKEDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 18:26   #4 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

imo. I would say the aftermarket ones are better, plus you can do extra porting to them if you want. For your car I would recommend an edelbrock performer RPM manifold. They shouldnt be much extra over the standard performer manifold.

Do a web search for the edlebrock intakes as well as the trickflow ones. Theres heaps of info on them.

The only reason I would go an explorer is for insurance reasons and also budget performance.

www.edelbrock.com
www.trickflow.com
Old 01-27-2004, 18:31   #5 (permalink)
5.0 ED Wagon

Further to Siks question. Will the cost of an Explorer relate to the amount of lost compared to a Edelbrock or Trickflow manifold? Something like the amount of airflow per dollar.
banarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 18:48   #6 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Not too sure. It will obviously depend on application and how far you intend to go.

From what SikEDXR8 car is built to, it would benefit with a explorer no doubt, but IMHO not as much as an aftermarket manifold like an edlebrock performer RPM or similar in the trickflow range.

I have been in Simons car and it definitely need help breathing in the topend department as it wont make power over 4000rpm in its current state. It should rev to 6500-7000rpm with little hassle as it was built that way!

It would be best to assess your intentions and your budget to determine your initial decision for a manifold.

Lastly I would say for bang for your buck, the edelbrock performer is an excellent street intake for not much over 1k. If you can find an explorer manifold, you are definitely doing well!
Old 01-28-2004, 00:53   #7 (permalink)
347 cubic power!

The Edelbrock is an oldie but a goodie - I think it will be my choice when the time comes:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/..._overload.html

Also check out this thread - Big Mick has listed a few URLs of interest:
Inlet Manifolds

IMHO, the AFM tests are good, but the test engines are not ideal (one is a wild atmo and the other is blown) unless, of course, you are planning such a donk for the ED...
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:13   #8 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Flow wise, the trickflow flows 245cfm, the Edelbrock 225cfm and the explorer just over 190cfm per runner. Power wise there won't be much in it when you take into account 200cfm per runner is roughly equal to 400hp of flow. If you can get an explorer cheap, get it, otherwise get the edelbrock one IMO, but not the RPM one unless you run it on a stroker.

Also, the explorer is fairly easy to port if you have a spare hour or two, and should flow well over 200cfm after.

Here is the data I got out of the MM&FF testing (I think it was that one anyway. I just threw it into an excel graph and it shows minimal differences between the explorer, edelbrock and trickflow. Also remember that the test car is putting out 330rwhp or 245rwkw. ----> graph

Last edited by EDXR8; 01-28-2004 at 03:29.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 04:47   #9 (permalink)

I have heard the edelbrock upper is easier to port as well because you can take the cover off. Dont know if this is true or not. I will get my manifold on the car one day.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:10   #10 (permalink)

I would definetly go the Edelbrock manifold over the Explorer. I have heard that the Trickflow manifolds flow the best out of the lot and are a little cheaper than the edelbrocks.
SIDEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech