A few questions: - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2004, 19:29   #1 (permalink)

A few questions:

can someone teach me about cams, like what the .230 lift @ whatever separation is or give me i site i can read?
also the crane cams i think numbers 2030 and 2031? which is for auto which for manual and what is the power range of these cams, how lumpy at idle etc.
instead of going for an aftermarket cam could i grab one from a EL-AU XR8? or is there not much difference in the cams from the EB-AU?
anyway will add some more questions here when i think of them
Quote:
<mrmkII> a tick bit my nuts!!!!
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2004, 20:53   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: A few questions:

Okay basically, lift is how much the cam opens the valve, the greater that is ttechnically the more flow ther is (Windsor cams usually range from 0.450" to 0.550"). Duration is how long the valve stays open in degrees, normally it is given as duration at 0.050" lift. Anything over about 220 duration @ 0.050" usually reduces idle quality. Lobe seperation angle (LSA) is the seperation of exhaust and inlet centrelines. 110LSA will normally give a rough idle, 112 is better, 114+ is close to stock. There are plenty of other factors but they are the main ones. If you look at the cam specs, most companied give a description of idle and power band as well.

The 2030 and 2031 cams can be run on auto or manual cars as they have good idle (lumpier than stock though) and good low rpm behavior. The 2031 has a slightly better idle so will be slightly better for autos. Power range from memory is around 2000-5500rpm on both cams but you will probably notice that the cam really starts working at around 3000rpm through to redline.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:59   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

For arguments sake I have 236 in and 224 exh which would be VERY lumpy at idle BUT it has 114 lob seperation which makes it chopy but doesn't have that real hot cam sound..These specs are for turbo cam which don't like overlap..
The previous cam was an E 303 SVT Ford cam with timing 220/220 and 110 lobe centre.You'd think this cam was WAY lumpy to the cam I have now..
A 110* cam however gets power on early and will full off early, but will accellerate hard while it does, which some will say is ideal for the short stroke Windsors...But 112+ holds power longer though MAY not peak as high through its rev range..Unless you have good heads [as in AFR/TFS/HOLLEY/EDELBROCK] any lift above .500 is useless and requires very good valve springs usually double, especially roller cams where the ramps open / close quick..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 16:13   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
Okay basically, lift is how much the cam opens the valve, the greater that is ttechnically the more flow ther is (Windsor cams usually range from 0.450" to 0.550"). Duration is how long the valve stays open in degrees, normally it is given as duration at 0.050" lift. Anything over about 220 duration @ 0.050" usually reduces idle quality. Lobe seperation angle (LSA) is the seperation of exhaust and inlet centrelines. 110LSA will normally give a rough idle, 112 is better, 114+ is close to stock. There are plenty of other factors but they are the main ones. If you look at the cam specs, most companied give a description of idle and power band as well.

The 2030 and 2031 cams can be run on auto or manual cars as they have good idle (lumpier than stock though) and good low rpm behavior. The 2031 has a slightly better idle so will be slightly better for autos. Power range from memory is around 2000-5500rpm on both cams but you will probably notice that the cam really starts working at around 3000rpm through to redline.
I thought the gross lifts for the cams were more in twenties? For instance stock lifts for various models :

289 in/ex 0.2303/0.368
HP 289 0.2983/0.2983
302 68-75 0.2303/0.2375
302 76-79 0.2373/0.2474
302 80 0.2346/0.2446
Boss 302 0.290/0.290
351W 69-75 0.260/0.278
351W 76 - 80 0.260/0.260
351W HO and cop 0.278/0.283

Net lift after a 1:1.6 rocker ratio is probably what you were talking about?

FordFan86 you should really find a book, but here is a short run down:

Duration is the number of crank degress the valve is open. There are two figures generally quoted: "advertised" and "@0.50". The advertsised is supposed to be the actual valve operating range, while the 0.50" (or @ 50) is a standard that allows comparison between cams. On windsor hydraulic lifters the cam events are generally taken at 0.006"; on engines with valve lash the duration is taken from whatever that lash is. As you increase duration you push the peaking torque up through the rev range.

Lobe seperation angle (LSA) is the angle formed between the centrelines of the exhaust cam and the intake cam. As you increase the LSA you get better idle, better vacuum, a wider power band, less peak power, flatter torque curve. If you close the angle (more overlap) the torque will be peaky and earlier, rougher idle, strong midrange torque, less vacuum, etc

Centrelines help you determine the intake offset in relation to the exhaust. This allows you to work out valve events in relation to piston velocities and position. Advancing the intake in relation to the exhaust makes the power peak earlier.

Overlap is the when the exhaust valve and intake valve are both open. Increasing overlap moves the power band up through the revs and makes the torque curve peaky.

Lift the amount of opening. It is the height of the nose from the base circle of the cam. When people talk lift they generally talk net lift which is at the valve after deducting lash gaps. There is not much point in increasing lift unless you intend running at high revs. Unless you don't mind the probability of changing spring retainers, reworking valve guides, stronger springs and dampeners, increase lobe wear, coil bind, etc because of greater speed and acceleration in valve movement plus steeper ramp and flank angles you will probably also increase duration. If you have a narrow LSA, increased lift risks piston interference.

Howzat for starters?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech