Forced Induction and Mods. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2003, 18:09   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Forced Induction and Mods.

Just some querries as to the best bang for buck if supercharging an injected Windsor 5ltr.
Are extensive modifications necessary when supercharging, or can a relatively stock engine produce healthy kws with the addition of a blower?
I have intentionally not specified kws as I have no idea, and Im trying to see some discussion as to what those who have got blown Windsors have done to get what kw.
Looking forward to some interesting reading.
Cheers Bernie.
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2003, 23:30   #2 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Re: Forced Induction and Mods.

Might help a bit if you specify what car you've got so people will have a better idea what parts you have to work with. Good luck!
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 05:31   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

Good point PigDog, specific to EL1XR8
cheers.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:19   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Better valve gear or atleast better springs. As the std ones are realy only good for 5,000 rpm. With some boost/ presure beind them, it makes the springs even less efficient/ strong.They can break and lead to dropped valves etc..Good exhaust/ extractors if you havn't already..Some may say heads but s/c takes care of that to a point..Good leads and ignition...Ford U.S had a 6Lp s/c for there F150 as an option[not lightning].The engine was bassically std..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 16:17   #5 (permalink)
OFR #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie
Good point PigDog, specific to EL1XR8
cheers.
IMO, the first thing you should get is a good exhaust system (headers and 2.25" twin or 3" single), cost $1500 - $2000 depending on header type, mild or stainless steel etc.

Not sure how much you know about superchargers but I have found the following sites useful.
http://www.capa.com.au/kits_ford.htm
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/
http://www.corral.net/forums/forumdi...hp?forumid=311 This forum is for Mustang owners, but there is heaps of info relevant to supercharging the 5.0L

I recently purchased my Vortech (centrifugal s/c) kit from CAPA for $8000. This is designed for 10lb's boost on a stock engine. CAPA are claiming 300+fwkw with one of these kits and a good exhuast on a stock motor (there are some dyno graphs on the CAPA site). The kit contains basically everything you would need.
They also do a Powerdyne kit (also a centrifugal s/c) for about $6300. This is claimed at around 255fwkw. The Powerdyne install is also easier as it doesn't require a hole in the sump for an oil return line like the Vortech does.

I haven't fitted my kit yet so can't give you numbers. Officially my project is out of control (it originally started by just wanting to add a s/c to my 5.0L) as I also have all the stuff in my sig and more. I'm know expecting over 300rwkw.

Note the condition of your engine will also effect how well the s/c will perform. If your concerned a leak down test can help to establish the sealing performance of each of the cylinders.

Mick

APS Stage II = 267rwkw = 12.16@118.5mph on street tyres

Last edited by Big Mick; 10-12-2003 at 16:20.
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 20:41   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Thanks Mick,
This is exactly the stuff I was wanting to find out. Sounds like you are going to have one very slick 5ltr when the project is completed. I can appreciate the nature of a budget blowouts, as my other interest is building hot bikes. I always use this old equation when starting a new project.
1. Get all your quotes.
2. Double the cost of all the quotes and add half of that amount to the quotes you have doubled.
3. Justify your actions by staring at all the lovely parts on your lounge room floor.
4. Take out another mortgage. (LOL)

I eagerly await more feedback on the forced induction topic but I believe I will talk more to you Mick, about how your project progresses. Please post pics once the jobs underway.
Cheers Bernie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech