Ford Boy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 04:17   #1 (permalink)

Question Ford Boy

Help Need I Have A 302 Windsor With A Edlebrock Performer Manifold 625cfm Demon Carb Comp Cam With The Duration At .050 212 Intake And 212 Exhaust With Pacemaker Extractors Car Was Dyno At 280hp And 208 Hp At The Wheels Can Anyone Help Me Or Tell Me How I Can Get More Hp What Changers Can I Make .....
ZD302V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2005, 15:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ford Boy

As the old saying goes,"Speed is just a question of money...how fast do you want to go?". There is much you can do...so how much are you looking to spend though? For Starters,what kind of distributor/ignition set-up are you running?
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 16:17   #3 (permalink)

What's your compression, cam lift, rear gear, auto or manual transmission? If auto is your torque converter stock, high stall speed? Anything done with your cylinder heads (ported, aftermarket, etc.), what size combustion chambers? Do you want strictly high end horsepower or is it torque you are really after?

Everything has to work together. All these factors need to be considered. If this is beyond you then you need to learn about it before you start making changes.

Steve
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:13   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
What's your compression, cam lift, rear gear, auto or manual transmission? If auto is your torque converter stock, high stall speed? Anything done with your cylinder heads (ported, aftermarket, etc.), what size combustion chambers? Do you want strictly high end horsepower or is it torque you are really after?

Everything has to work together. All these factors need to be considered. If this is beyond you then you need to learn about it before you start making changes.

Steve
Here's all the spec i know about, & i'm aiming to radicaly improve excleration any further advice wld be much appreciated.
302 windsor, std bore & strock. Cam, .050duration, 212 lift In/Ex. Rear gears, 2.78. Auto with std stall. Mild head porting with larger valves std comp. Edlebrock Performer Manifold 625cfm vac sec Demon Carb & Pacemaker Extractors. In a large ford 1600+ kgs, daily driven vehicle.
Old 11-15-2005, 20:23   #5 (permalink)

Your intake and carb are fine. I would go with as much lift on the cam as you can get without smacking the pistons. Probably around .524". You need to find out how much lift your cam has to know if you can improve that any or not. You have a nice short duration for low end torque. Going with steeper gears will definately improve acceleartion but you will lose some fuel mileage. JUst about anything you do to improve acceleration will cause that though. I would go with about a 3.50:1 gear as a good average. Depending on tire diameter you could either go up or down in ratio a little to fine tune it. Sounds like your heads are good too with some porting and larger valves. Your torque converter is fine for that cam as the cam is made for off the line performance.

Your rear gear is a major factor in your lack of acceleration. It is made for highway cruising for fuel mileage, not acceleration. Some people will recommend an even steeper gear, but then again tire diameter is a factor.

Steve
Old 11-15-2005, 20:27   #6 (permalink)

Also make sure the little things are in line such as timing and such. An MSD ignition system might not be a bad idea either. Make sure your choke is operating correctly as well. If it hangs slightly closed that will affect acceleration too. Your build sounds fine and like the engine should flow air in and out very well, but the rear gear is what jumps out at me most.

Steve
Old 11-20-2005, 05:55   #7 (permalink)

thank you for your help steve i have put 3.5.1 gears in now and it is going very good i am happy with it but just want a little more out of it i think i mite go with a bigger cam an a 2500rpm hi stall for that super quick take of here are the specs of my cam now cross valve lift is intake .447 exhaust .447 durtion at .006 tappet lift is intake 260 exhaust is 260 valve timing open at .006 int 24 btdc open and close 56 abdc exh is 64bbdc open and close 16atdc these speecs are for cam installed at 106 intake center line duration at .050 intake 212 exhaust 212 lobe lift is intake .2795 exhaust .2795 lobe separation intake 110 ....
thats all the specs on my cam it a comp cams from the usa can you tell me a cam to give me a litter more power .......hope you can help me ..
thank you Dean ....
Old 11-20-2005, 06:23   #8 (permalink)

The cam that I put into my wife's 331 stroker that I just built is a Lunati #55123 retro-fit roller cam. It has .522" lift, intake and exhaust, and 215 degrees duration intake, 224 degrees duration exhaust. LSA is 112. I got this cam because even though she wanted as much acceleration as possible she also wanted a smooth idle. Personally I like a little lope to the idle and would go with more duration like 224-230 degrees on the intake. I don't know what kind of power this makes (GT-40 X305 heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Road Demon 625 cfm carb, 9.6:1 forges aluminium pistons, Doug Thorley headers, C4 tranny and 3.25:1 rear gear, 26" tires) because I have not had it on a chassis dyno yet but I am expecting it to do well. Would do better with more duration.

I went with the retro-fit roller cam because I wanted the faster valve events, opening and closing, for more duration at lower lifts. Along with the better heads I expect this to give her an advantage over a similar flat tappet cam.

The standard duration for low end torque and smooth idle maxes out at about 220 degrees on the intake.

You always match your converter to the cam. If you are thinking about a 2500 RPM stall converter then go with a little more duration on the cam. The idea of the converter having a higher stall speed is so that your engine will rev into the begining of it's powerband before grabbing enough to launch the vehicle. The cams with intake duations in the 210 - 220 range will begin making power right off idle. Somewhere on the internet there is a chart about what RPM various duration cams have their powerband in. Maybe someone here already has that link? Increasing the stall speed on the converter is for going with a longer duration cam

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech