Ford Fairlane 302 Windsor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2004, 07:09   #1 (permalink)

Ford Fairlane 302 Windsor

Dear Tech,

I have a Ford Fairlane ZD stock 302 Windsor which is in very good nick.

I was told by a friend of mine that I should put some extractors, twin system and 4 barrel carby and manifold and then I would see some marginal difference in the performance ie 15 to 20%.

Recently I put a 2 1\4" system as recommended by the muffler guy with extractors and I tend to agree that I have seen some difference in perfromance.

However, the guy that fitted my exhaust system put 2 1/4 all the way through with 2 1/2" s/steel tips.

When I am just cruising it is has that deep note that you would expect from a ford V8 however when I start to accelerate or throttle the car it barks like mad and I hate the sound of that barking.

Is the barking due to the 2 1/2" tips or does the exhaust system require someting else to quieten it down a little.

Please help as I am a novice when it comes to exhaust systems and I think I have been duped.

Perhaps I should have insisted on a 2" for my stock 302 rather than 2. 1/4".

I do intend to put a 4 barrel carb and manifold in the ensuing weeks

Please help. Any comments.

Thanks

BUZ888
Buz888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2004, 10:41   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Ford Fairlane 302 Windsor

Does it have H or X pipes ???
They tend to stop bark as pulses come out both sides...
Good or better mufflers help....
Welcome to forums...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 15:35   #3 (permalink)
Turbo 351TC "Coming soon"

I agree, it'd either need a balance pipe or a better set of mufflers. Another part to look at maybe is a set of resonators they can clean up the sound but will also knock down the db's as well.
TD302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 22:02   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD302
I agree, it'd either need a balance pipe or a better set of mufflers. Another part to look at maybe is a set of resonators they can clean up the sound but will also knock down the db's as well.

Thanks TD302,

I try your recommendation and see what happens.

Hopefully things will quieten down alot. My neigbours have been complaining non stop since I put the new system in.

Regards

BUZ888
Old 09-04-2004, 22:22   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Does it have H or X pipes ???
They tend to stop bark as pulses come out both sides...
Good or better mufflers help....
Welcome to forums...
Dear EBXR8240,

The new twin system does not have H or X pipes. It's just standard pipes 2 1\4" from the extractors to the 2 1/4" Lukey mufflers and then to the back of the car with 2 1/2" SSteel tips.

I'm not going back to this exhaust guy as he sounds quite vague and me not knowing much about exhaust systems makes things worse.

All I wanted was to put a twin system with extrators to make the engine breath easier and get a nice deep 302 Windsor note to it.

That is what I asked for but didnt get it.

Perhaps the 2 1/4 " pipes are too big and I should have gone 2".

What do you think?

Anyway what is done is done now.

Im going to ring round a few places and see if a H pipe or resonators will quieten the system down.

Failing that I will get the pipes wripped out and go 2" which is plenty for a 302 Windsor and what I propose to do with it in the near future
ie strip the engine, freshen it up, add a lumpy cam with 4 barrel carb and manifold and stage 1 shift kit for the auto box.

Thanks

buz888
Old 09-05-2004, 01:31   #6 (permalink)

gday,
i've currently got an xw with a 302 windsor which is stock except exhaust,holley and performer manifold and im quite happy with the performance and its sounds awesome.
all i know bout the exhaust is its got pacemaker try-ys goin into duel 2 1\4 inch pipes with balance pipe and 2 straight through mufflers (brand unknown)
cheers
cam

p.s go the stage 2 shiftkit, you'll be happier with it
xdub69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 02:02   #7 (permalink)
slikxb

Are the mufflers straight through or offset (inlet/outlet)?. I had straigt through's on my 351 with 2 1\2's and they were way to loud, I then changed over to offset mufflers (turbo's or super turbo's theyr'e called) which quietened it down just right. I think you should stick with the 2 1\4 and either change the mufflers to a turbo design (if they are straight throughs) or you could put some hotdogs (really small straight through mufflers that look like hotdogs, and need virtually no room to fit) in between the extractors and rear muffler. If your gunna put a cam and 4 barrel on it you will regret going back to 2 inch. Tell your nieghbors to get stuffed
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 02:09   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdub69
gday,
i've currently got an xw with a 302 windsor which is stock except exhaust,holley and performer manifold and im quite happy with the performance and its sounds awesome.
all i know bout the exhaust is its got pacemaker try-ys goin into duel 2 1\4 inch pipes with balance pipe and 2 straight through mufflers (brand unknown)
cheers
cam

p.s go the stage 2 shiftkit, you'll be happier with it
Dear Cam,

Its funny you should mention stage 2 shift kit. Just this afternoon I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine and he said the same thing, go Stage 2.

So Im convinced now. Thanks cam

Anyway, bout my system. Ive got Lukey pacemakers going into duel 2 1/4"
pipes and 2 lukey mufflers on either pipes towards the back of the car about 3/4 down. I dont know if they are try-ys.
I havent got a balance pipe and this is why the car is too loud when I thottle or under load (droning and alot of barking).

It sounds like those cars at calder that take their pipes off and run off the extractors. It is just too loud when Im accelarating.
I cannot handle the noise not to mention my neighours complaints.

Im going back to the exhaust guy and will get him to fit a H balance pipe or some resonators to quieten it down.

Thanks cam
Old 09-05-2004, 02:22   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz
Are the mufflers straight through or offset (inlet/outlet)?. I had straigt through's on my 351 with 2 1\2's and they were way to loud, I then changed over to offset mufflers (turbo's or super turbo's theyr'e called) which quietened it down just right. I think you should stick with the 2 1\4 and either change the mufflers to a turbo design (if they are straight throughs) or you could put some hotdogs (really small straight through mufflers that look like hotdogs, and need virtually no room to fit) in between the extractors and rear muffler. If your gunna put a cam and 4 barrel on it you will regret going back to 2 inch. Tell your nieghbors to get stuffed
Thanks SlikXB,

Im going to mention this to the exhaust guy when I see him in the next day or so.

As far as my nieghbors go I personally dont give a hoot about what they think but in the past when I had a pretty hot 351 GXL XC they have called the cops on me and since then I dont trust them and the cops went through my car like you wouldnt believe.

I dont need the hassles
Thanks

BUZ888
Old 09-05-2004, 03:37   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz

Dear SlikXB,

By the way the mufflers are Lukey offset (inlet/outlet) at 2 1\4 " and not straight throughs. Even with that they are way too loud.
Hotdogs here I come.
What do you think of H pipe?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech