This Forum - my last chance ??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 09:42   #1 (permalink)

This Forum - my last chance ???

HI to all you mechanics !
I am new here and I live in Spain. American Vehicles are very rare here and if you have problems, nobody can help.
Here is the story :
I was allways crazy after a CLENET car and when I had the cash, I ordered one from a seller in LA and had it shipped to me - to Spain. I like to make this story short and tell everybody, that a Clenet car of 1979 ( Series 2 ) is build on a 1979 Mercury chaissis with a 351 W, C - 4 auto, California emission equipment, variable Ventury 2 port carb and the famous EEC II computer.
This car gives me trouble since day 1.
Lots of people - allready in the US - have stick holes in all the cables go into the EEC and probably did troubleshooting... The car runs - thats not the problem, but it hasitates runs unstable about 1000 revs, dies off in idle and gives poor power. But look !!! Not allways.... sometimes it runs great for some miles, but then it starts the problem up again and I am not sure if I get back home again.... I have checked everything a "normal" machenic could possibly check. Everything looks ok. I can not do the codes on the EEC, as I do not have equipment to do so.
I am now in the mood to change this engine back to "basics". With a normal carb and a standard HEI distributor|, as we do not have emission controlls here on old vehicles.
My question :
Is the anybody in the forum who did this before and could give me some hints on this job ???? Eventually could give me a phone number, so we could talk ?
I am getting nuts on this problem. Like to take this car out for a ride !
Perfect if somebody could reply.
Thanks in advance !!
Fred fron Spain
Fred Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 06:31   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Re: This Forum - my last chance ???

While I haven't done this to your particular car, it is simply a matter of getting a carburetor that's appropriate for your manifold and one of the many aftermarket distributor options - MSD, Davis, or Pertronix are pretty popular options in the US.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 15:55   #3 (permalink)

frown Re: This Forum - my last chance ???

Thanks Mat,
I allready ordered a Hei - distributor to try that. But what about the rest of the emission stuff, like EGR, catalysts, sensors, EEC unit and cables ?
Annulate all that ?
Fred
Fred Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:05   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

I'm not sure if the EGR works on its own or is controlled by the computer, but you can remove all that and make it work.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 23:39   #5 (permalink)
Flying @ a mile high

the vv carb is your issue, Retire ford VV carb Semi expert, Dump it! electronic distrutor,duraspark ignition or msd is simple change, 4bbl intake and edelbrock or holley and your golden. sorry i missed this earlier.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05   #6 (permalink)

A 2 bl carb will bolt onto the OEM intake, or buy an aftermarket intake & carb.
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 13:42   #7 (permalink)
Still Da Man

Removing the EGR will cause pinging. no matter what octane you use.

I have a diagram of a Duraspark II ignition which would be a lot more reliable

Here are diagrams of what you have and what you need.

EEC -DS III ( with catalyst Equipment)

DS II (with no Catalyst related parts)

Standard Point Ignition

mil1ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 17:28   #8 (permalink)

I had a 82 F250 with that same carb and EEC II computer,I just found all the wiring for one that did not have it and put on a motorcraft 2 bbl and duraspark ignition and it ran great. I hooked up the EGR valve with a ported vacumn switch like on the non computer controlled motors so it would not ping,if you can find out what mercury chassis it was built on and if that same chasis had a 302 then you can use the duraspark from it and find a regular 2 bbl carb and distributor off a 351-W and should be able to plug it in and go. Were they built on the Lincoln version of the granada chassis and if so mercury monarch and granada 302 engine wiring harness will eliminate the EEC II junk. Jeff
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech