Getting an XR8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2003, 01:32   #1 (permalink)
D_XR6 in a previous life

Getting an XR8

G'day,

I was previously an XR6 owner, but had an unpassable deal to purchase an EF XR8 after my 6 was stolen. It is manual, has really low k's (101k) and my uncle has had it since new and he really looks after it.

Anyway, I will have about about $3,000 to spend on mods. I have been reading through some threads and I am surprised about how much more technical the Windsor threads are compared to the I6 threads. (No offence to the guys in that thread!) I don't know much (obviously) about the tech stuff and so far I have only been able to figure out that the heads need to be changed/ported for better flow and the usual changes of headers, exhaust and filter.

Can you please advise of what you would think would be the best mods for around $3000, and if you can keep it as simple as possible that would be great.

Cheers, Damian

p.s. What is a MAF???

Secretary FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic
www.fpvxrclub.com
New Members welcome
D_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2003, 02:15   #2 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Re: Getting an XR8

EF XR series are nice cars, I prefer the I6 to the V8, but that's another story.

In standard form they are positively gutless, so that 3 grand will come in handy to make it a little livelier.

First thing to do is fit a decent dual 2 1/4 system and extractors.
Next is to fit a larger throttle body and MAF together, either on it's own wil do bugger all.
You'll have already run out of money at that point, though at least you'll have between 180-190kw, and it will be much better than the standard 170kw, as torque is improved quite a bit too.

The next stage would involve a better inlet manifold, and after that, better heads and roller rockers. You will have somwehere around 200-210kw.

A camshaft will put you around 220kw.

Any further than this and you will need to stroke it if you want to keep it civilised.
You're also looking at pretty big money.

BTW, a MAF is a 'mass air flow' sensor, basically it measures the flow of air through the inlet duct, and tells the ECU how much fuel the engine needs. (in conjunction with a whole host of other engine parameters).

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 02:34   #3 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

For $3000 I would do the following.

Single 2 1/2" exhaust with extractors (around $1000 in mild steel, much more in SS)
ST2027 1.72 YT Roller rockers (about $500)
Edelbrock Intake manifold or similar ($1100)
If you have enough left, then larger MAF ($400-$500)

These mods will give you best bang for $$$$, and give you good increases throughout the entire rev range. After that you will want to look at a new set of GT40P heads ($1000) or some alloys ($2000-$2500) etc.....
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 03:11   #4 (permalink)
D_XR6 in a previous life

Thanks guys, that definately helps!

Seems that I will be eventually spending a bit more than I anticipated. Compared to the 6 the cost of "normal" mods seems to be a bit more expensive. For $3k on the 6 you have a very handy weapon for the street.

I will also have to watch the insurance, so I guess anything that will look different in the engine bay will need to be avoided.

www.fpvxrclub.com
New Members welcome
Old 11-30-2003, 03:17   #5 (permalink)

Yeah V8 mods will be more expensive, but you will find even simple mods on these engines give a huge torque improvement and should be faster than I6's running higher rwkw.

Also look around and find an AU XR8 manifold. They flow quite well, and keep the factory appearance, to keep the insurance companies off your back.

BTW, your signature needs updating to Ambrose IS 2003 champion hehe.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:32   #6 (permalink)
D_XR6 in a previous life

Thanks EDXR8, I forgot about the signature, shame on me!

That sounds like a great idea, at least it will seem like a fatory item!

www.fpvxrclub.com
New Members welcome
Old 11-30-2003, 14:52   #7 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

Could also do a Unichip which will help with all the mixtures, But EDXR8 pretty much has it all sewn up!!!

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 23:13   #8 (permalink)

I would buy a low pressure supercharger. A brand new Vortex kit from USA can be had for about US$1900, and with current exchange rates is about what your budget extends to once shipping is included (send it by post). All you need to do is make a suitable mounting bracket as the kit is designed for a Mustang. No engine mods required, and a 25-30% increase in HP.
xafalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 23:47   #9 (permalink)

The supercharged option will produce the best results, but even at $1900US, you are looking at around $4000AUS by the time you get it over here. And then you will need larger MAF and probably injectors to cope.
Old 11-30-2003, 23:48   #10 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

whats the pro's and con's of fitting adjustable and non adjustable rr's? ST2027's are non adj, ST2028 are adj.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech