The day finally arrived! Yesterday Rollin and I said goodbye to my HO inlet manifold. This operation was followed by the installation of the following.
Cobra upper and lower intake manifold
ED XR8 Sprint 70mm MAF
65mm throttle body.
My smile is beyond quantification. I’ll get to the results a little later… first some background.
The prep work for the job was tainted only by my painful search for the two grade 5 high tensile 5/16th UNC thread 7” bolts that join the upper and lower manifolds together. They were the only things missing from the gear when I purchased them and I found that Ford did not stock them; nor did Queensland Fasteners and numerous other bolt specialists. Finally I found a bolt supplier (Bolt King) at Cabalaba who had some in grade 8 high tensile in stock
I had the injectors ultrasonically cleaned by Eletronic Injector Services. This service included new rings and lube.
The installation was what I would call flawless. It took us 5 hours with interruptions. Everything worked a treat and there were no parts left over!
The process was very easy. Out came the coolant. Off came the intake guts, upper inlet, fuel lines (we used EL1XR8’s coke bottle trick which worked very well), wiring, distributor, hoses etc.
Because this manifold had been sourced from an E-series V8, we were fortunate enough to have all the sensors, vacuum lines and EGR related oddities in exactly the same place as they were on the original equipment. The only modification that was required was a minor sanding of the airbox lid and a minor filing of the bottom of the airbox side of the MAF to enable the bolt holes to line up. I also needed 3 longer bolts (m6 x 40) to bolt the new MAF to my airbox. I’ve read that you can purchase an adapter plate but this took ½ an hour and worked very well. Here the new MAF is pictured beside the old one.
Once we’d taken the lower manifold off the satanic nature of the cursed HO(e) manifold could be clearly seen! The manifold to the bottom of the following picture flows about 125cfm/runner, the one to the top around 200cfm/runner (thanks goes to RaceCraft for the painting).