got in trouble for posting in new members...sorry - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 09:11   #1 (permalink)
AC Cobra = Ford Power

got in trouble for posting in new members...sorry

Hi everyone...

My name is Simon..

I work as a efficientcy expert for the marine world and have taken time off to build my childhood dream car, the AC / Shelby Cobra (depending on what side of the pond you're from). I've done a turbo build and have almost completed her in 4 weeks...

I decided that Ol' Shelby would turn in his grave if I was to put a chevvy, Rover or Jag motor in her, so I bought and rebuilt a 351 Windsor, 408 stoker Engine 490BHP, 480 lbs Torque..

Now....

I do not know the donor vehicle, or how old the block is..... at all.

I've had a really interesting time rebuilding her and getting her up to scratch..

Problem is that when I put her in my Cobra replica I have to have the correct engine numbers for the English (England) white coat men before I can legally drive around.

Now, I've read all that I can about engine identification and I must say that it is as clear as mud..

Can anyone tell me please,

Where do I find the Engine identification number?

I assume from the literature that I have read already that this number will tell me what year the engine is as well..

Regards

Simon
servistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2007, 04:20   #2 (permalink)

Re: got in trouble for posting in new members...sorry

Simon,
if you pull out the starter motor, you will be able to see the casting number on the block.
you need to be interested in the first two.
The first is a letter denoting the decade, the second is a digit, which is year in that decade..
example

C7xx-xxxx Is 1960 decade, 7 makes it a 1967
E0xx-xxxx is 1980 decade, 0 makes it 1980

as for the engine number...that depends on year of build and where it is from, many did not have thier own engine number (like a VIN) and you may need to have one issued

Hope this helps

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 20:48   #3 (permalink)

Re: got in trouble for posting in new members...sorry

Shelby will not be rolling in his Grave any time Soon.. He is alive and well and back at Ford with Some New Fun Machines..
VictourB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech