Great Fuel Economy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2003, 21:51   #1 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

Great Fuel Economy

I have just come back from a trip down south of the border and clocked up 670km's from my tank in my 2000 model XR8 with the mods in sig. I was stoked. 115km/h in the 110 zones and 108km/h in the 100 zones.

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2003, 05:17   #2 (permalink)
Stand clear: 5.0 in use!

Re: Great Fuel Economy

Long live the Windsor!

Yep, I get the same mileage from my mild-cammed 5.0 on Premium too. I feel pretty good about it considering it's an auto!

Mike

EF Fairmont Ghia, Bordeaux Purple, 5.0 Windsor, Crane cam, ChipTorque modded ECU, full XR bodykit, 16 inch XR8 alloys, 2.5 inch dropped Tickford suspension, full grey leather trim with chrome, woodgrain and lots of lights, climate control, ABS, Premium sound, trip computer, power everything

I can't get enough of this!
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:26   #3 (permalink)

My EB V8 auto with 215,000k's on the clock still returns 600km from a tank of 91 commuting to and from work 25k's each way Mon-Fri, then a half day around town driving on Saturday morning.

Yep, they are a great little motor. Shame they stopped making them.
xafalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 17:09   #4 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

xafalcon - 600km??? Thats awesome. The best I get is 470k's from a tank around town! Although currently, I have some issues to attend to with the motor soon so that may be the reason my economy flies out the window.
I need to get the dizzy sorted out, I was told it had a bent shaft. Dont ask me how, I was told high rpm and old age does that. Also the oxy sensors are gone so I assume that will have a bearing on fuel economy.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 17:23   #5 (permalink)
FPV Tasmania Member

my 5.6 lt stroked prob get 35o kms around town
550 to 600 kms on highway driving, agan cruising about 116km/h
Old 07-31-2003, 00:05   #6 (permalink)

Not 600k's around town, although I wish. Probably about 550k's commuting and 50k's in town. My commute is 25k's in the morning and 25k's in the evening, in the countryside, through one good sized township each way. I'm really happy with this considering the number of cold starts involved.

Distributor shafts don't really have any reason to bend, are you certain about this? In 20 years of hot rodding I have never had this happen to me.
xafalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 00:24   #7 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

xafalcon - Well this is what I was told by the mechanic. He said that the timing was out 6 degrees between cyl 1 and cyl 8. And he wasnt totally sure that it was a bent dizzy. But that he would put in a 2nd hand one to prove it other wise.
Your not the only one who has said that it sounds strange. I'm not completely convinced that a bent shaft is the be all and end all of the matter but there is only one way to find out. Hell, it could probably be the bushes are worn. If that is the case I hope I'll get away with that cheaper.

What are your thoughts?
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 00:59   #8 (permalink)

woah, those are some impressive figures.
wish all the driving we did was highway
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech