GT40 Tubular upper - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2004, 06:55   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

GT40 Tubular upper

A few questions I'd like to ask. Firstly, what's a good price to pay for a second hand one. Aren't they pretty hard to find. How much extra power are they good for just straight swap bolt on. I currently have the explorer upper. How much lighter are they?

Thanks.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2004, 07:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: GT40 Tubular upper

dont waste your money, they arent that much better than what you have...
Old 04-19-2004, 19:29   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yes spend the $$$ on getting your one internally honed...Extrude Hone is one company...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 21:57   #4 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

How many $$$'s are we talking, and what flow benefits would be the go.

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:21   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Depends if there is a restriction in the manifold?? All the 2000 Mustang Cobra's [4.6] where Extrude Honed under warrenty in U.S due to power was down on what Ford advertised...Worked for them!!..
There is a restriction on one and five inlet ports where they go around dizzy or where there was one...On lower manifolds..
About $800. yes expensive!!!
I have seen the old inline H.O type inlet flow better than Explorer after it was Extrude Honed...3/4 $ of a/m one tho...But thats what you have to pay if you want std look and power I guess...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:55   #6 (permalink)
3FB Educator!

If I knew back when I put on the TFS maifold I would have had the Explorer manifold extrude honed instead.
B-1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 15:06   #7 (permalink)
Must not void insurance

jump on ebay america.... you'll pick up one cheap if your keen

i got an upper and lower posted by us postal for $88 usd, so freight wouldn't be terribly expensive....

gt40 manifolds on there everywhere, as well as any other flavour you want
*i2ayman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 15:24   #8 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

Can you just port the lower manifold i.e just 1 and 5???

I was just going to use my dremel to smooth all the edges and surfaces when I take the manifolds off to put a cam in, will this have any major benefits.

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
Old 04-20-2004, 15:25   #9 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it may be useful for your self as well.

Old 04-21-2004, 04:34   #10 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

that's allright mate. I wanna know the best thing to do, so any discussion with in relevence of what I was originally asking i dont mind. alternatives are not irrelevant to what I was asking.

I have never heard of this extrude hone. Is the company called extrude hone becase that's the name of what they do? once again the questions will rolll out. How much for an extrude hone? Where are they? What power? Do they do the upper and lower? Can they port match the manifilds with my head?

I do plan at a later stage to remove the egnine and heads so I can get the heads port matched with the intake and also fit a cam and roller rockers.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech