help with engine.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007, 11:53   #1 (permalink)

help with engine..

Ok, long time ago my engine a 1965 289cid small ford
started making a noise, its kinda likea toc toc toc toc toc (you get the idea).
So when its idling you can hear it very strong, not so fast, but when yuo start reving the engine the noise goes up on speed and then disappears..

First i thougnt it was a bad lifter so i did the following.
I changed the stock rockers and replaced them with roller rockers, changed the pushrods as well, and the lifters, and because i opened the top of the engine to change the lifters i replaced the intake maniforld.
I set the correct valve lash for the lifters/pushrods/rockers correct geometry.
so i put everything back together and the noise continued...

I started taking one spark plug cable a time with the engine running to take preassure of each cylinder and to see if a piston is broken or something.

But no luck. The engine makes the same noise even when took the pressure of the cylinders....

Any Ideas or ways of checking???
jackdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 03:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: help with engine..

sounds like you may have some very worn bearings or a badly worn piston or two... have you had the engine out of the car to inspect?
swpoynton79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:41   #3 (permalink)

That sound is pretty familiar. It most likely from the lower end. Like the other reply said, either a bearing or sloppy piston. Had a 302 in a 73 pickup that did the same thing. Tore it down and found one piston skirt completely broken off, one fractured and ready to leave. The "point" on these older cast pistons will fracture if there is too much side wall clearance. Also, if its a bearing, check oil pressure using an accurate gauge. At idle, with 10w30, if you're reading 5-10 lbs its probably a rod bearing. Either way, its gonna be costly. Look into a used 5.0 roller motor. They don't wear any where near as bad, as they came with forged pistons, thinner rings, a roller cam. I've taken these down with as much as 200K and there's no significant cylinder wall wear. Rings might wear, but the block stays pretty good. Pistons too. Just a suggestion.
swenglert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 17:48   #4 (permalink)

Agree w/ above poster...also, Pull the flywheel inspection cover and check that the starter flex plate,ring gear is tight!!!
Could also be a broken piston skirt.
just a suggestion.

Last edited by chuckles; 01-26-2009 at 17:49. Reason: flex plate
chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech