Help.... Is it worth it or not... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2004, 21:59   #1 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Help.... Is it worth it or not...

Ok, alot of the regualrs will know i've been around here a fair bit asking all n00bish questions about what does what and what not :S.
Ok so yesterday i went for a drive in my AU2 185kw XR8 ute. Along came my old man in his near new WRX, and the brother in law in his brand new XLS standard auto BA ute. Anyways, although it feels very fast to drive, it turns out it's not any quicker than the standard bloody Falcon, not enough to really notice anyway. Including overtaking etc, it was a bit but not much. And no suprise the Rex was marginally quicker.

So basically, i'm gonna ask this: Is it worth spending money on this thing? Really, how much of a difference will exhaust and minor mods like RR's make to it's acceleration?..... Again will it be worth it or should i source a later model and be more in debt?

Previously: AUII XR8 ute which I miss!
-Nemesis- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 00:53   #2 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Re: Help.... Is it worth it or not...

The mod's will make a change but just how much as to what you may expect is the question,I'm affraid you will probably be better getting a latter model BA XR8 or the alike.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 02:32   #3 (permalink)

dont be to dishartend i have the same delimer ..
i want to stomp on newer stock cars but how much will it cost.
If u can afford a ba go for it the twin cam is a ripper.
oze50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:43   #4 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

I could, but on the other hand i think, the difference between the two is about 10-15 grand. Surely for less than that i could have a BA eater? I wonder what Herrods vision 300 upgrade is worth lol.

Old 03-22-2004, 14:34   #5 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8_Ute
I could, but on the other hand i think, the difference between the two is about 10-15 grand. Surely for less than that i could have a BA eater? I wonder what Herrods vision 300 upgrade is worth lol.
By the time you have gained the increase to 300kw from that engine, you may as well trade yours for a series III 250kw Pursuit ute (I'm assuming you need a ute) which is capable of 220rwkw (about 28 -290kw at the fly) with just a zorst & CAI

The Pursuit will hold its value better and your old man & others won't see you for dust (or tyre smoke)

Shayne

PS Only buy one of these if you want your car to pull all the way to 200KPH in 3rd & 4th the same as your XR8 gets to 80KPH in 2nd!
Old 03-22-2004, 14:53   #6 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Heh, i thought of that. First review on one i read said average fuel consumption on their long range test was 21L/100km :|
I know V8's use more fuel, but after driving my ute i was beginning to think i could have the best of both worlds> ?

Old 03-22-2004, 15:22   #7 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Heh, i thought of that. First review on one i read said average fuel consumption on their long range test was 21L/100km :|
I know V8's use more fuel, but after driving my ute i was beginning to think i could have the best of both worlds> ?
That's because your 185 hasn't got much more than a six. If fuel costs are an issue for you, don't hot up your 185 or buy anything with a bigger motor cause more power = more fuel.

Also, you can forget about using regular unleaded. Anything with more than 200kw is gonna need 98 ron and will use more of it. Every one has their budget to work to, and unless your pocket can stand $1 per litre and apprx 30% more of em, stay with what you have. If you can stand the expense, I promise you will not be able to wipe the smile off your face every time you jump in the Pursuit.

To use 21l/100km, they must have done that 100km in 30 mins into a headwind with half a ton in the back (ie 200kph all the way) because they are not that thirsty. Normal driving will use up to 15l/100
Old 03-22-2004, 16:09   #8 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Fair enough. You've had me bitten now lol. Just did a quote request on new XR8 Ute, mind you i get a $4,600 discount through Ford Recognition thanks to my employer.
Or would the Pursuit be better than the Boss? (this is all just thinking outloud, soon as it's said outloud the missus will shoot me.)

Old 03-22-2004, 16:28   #9 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Fair enough. You've had me bitten now lol. Just did a quote request on new XR8 Ute, mind you i get a $4,600 discount through Ford Recognition thanks to my employer.
Or would the Pursuit be better than the Boss? (this is all just thinking outloud, soon as it's said outloud the missus will shoot me.)
Series III Pursuit ute will go harder than 260 Boss & will cost a lot less if you can find one for sale. T3 sedans bog stock are still beating Herrod kitted BA XR8's & GT's at Heathcote, although I,m not sure if the AU utes are lighter than the BA utes as is the case with the sedans.

Just buy a black one & the missus won't pick the difference.
Old 03-22-2004, 18:46   #10 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Hehehe you're probably right with the missus.
I did a little search for the pursuits, most were in the mid to low 40's still, which is about what i'd pick up the new XR for after discount.. As far as utes go, i'd say they'd be the same weight, as apart from the front panels the body looks identical.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech