higher revs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2002, 02:43   #1 (permalink)

Question higher revs

hey guys how would you get higher revs out of your car what would you need to do to your car????
xplod_fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2002, 03:17   #2 (permalink)
BOF

more than what? the limiter? why do you want more revs? as most of the time the power is well and truely dropping by the time the limiter kicks in
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 03:23   #3 (permalink)

Lightbulb mmm

yea do AU1 fairmonts have rev limitors and can you get rid of them???
xplod_fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 03:28   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Yeah, Au's do have rev limitors. I think they are around 6000rpm (not sure though). After about 5500rpm, power drops of very quickly, so you don't want any more revs than that.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 03:30   #5 (permalink)
BOF

The limiter isnt just fitted for the sake of fitting a limiter. Sure you can get it removed, rev your engine past the 5750 it was previously limited at and then brace yourself as the engine throws a leg out of bed and your front wheels get lifted off the ground as the piston punched the road.:crazy1:
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:51   #6 (permalink)
Battens PerformanceTuning

Not to sure about you guys but my edxr8 does not have a rev or speed limiter that I have reached yet (it was an ex cop car as well) I have an auto and with the hardware changes I have mad to the engine and the use of an ebgt trans ecu The bloody thing doesn't change gear on the upshift until 6000rpm.
The other thing some of the yanks do to the speed limiter is put a switch on the engine ecu speed pickup signal input.
As for rev I thought the limit was at around 7200 rpm.
Old 05-12-2002, 05:28   #7 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

With head/intake mods on a V8 it can easily rev past 6000rpm. The stock ED XR8 with auto won't rev much past 5500rpm. I think the rev limit on the ED XR8 is around 6250-6500rpm. I would love to see 7200rpm with a factory bottom end.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 05:29   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

More revs doesn't necessarily mean more power. IF it's an AU falcon Inline 6 where talking about maximum power is at 4900rpm , revving the engine over this is useless as you'll induce much more wear to your engine.

Theres valve bouncing first then a piston giving way is just around the corner going in the red zone.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:20   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I don't think you mean to exceed the engines max do you? What I guess you are asking is how to make it rev quicker? Is that right? 6 or 8 ????
Then the usuall extractors exhaust, induction, think of it as a compressor, the more air the more power and hopefully pulling power.Torque...A lower geared diff will help as well. If its not a T series it's quite possible to be 3.08 to 1... T series are either 3:27 or 3:45 or there abouts..So with slight mods the lower final drive exagerates the extra power making it more throttle responsive....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 07:30   #10 (permalink)
Battens PerformanceTuning

I wouldn't like to rev to 7200 either, I have read the internal programs of many six and eights and you would be surprised what kind of limits are in there. I can read the maps functions and scalars.
On the dyno mine was making peak power @ smack on 6000rpm with no drop off.
I also read somewhere else that critical mass point for these engines is around 8125 rpm but this depends on engine condition of coarse.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech