Hydraulic lifter install experiences - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 16:04   #1 (permalink)

Hydraulic lifter install experiences

I built a 331 stroker engine for my wife's 66 Mustang. The engine is a 1968 block with a retro-fit hydraulic roller cam in it.

When I started it up it makes a lot of clacking noise but runs ok. I removed the valve cover and even though I get a good pressure reading on the oil guage and I hear oil draining back into the pan when the engine is shut-off there is no oil coming to the roller rockers. I can also compress the lifters on closed valves with the pushrod. Lifter preload was set at contact plus 1/2 turn. Rockers are adjustable.

The pushrods are new with a hole going through them for oil flow to the rockers. Everything is new. The lifters were purchased with the cam in a kit from Lunati.

What I would like to know is how many people here have built their engines with hydraulic lifters and did not fill them first by compressing the plunger with the lifter submerged in oil? I read that this was not neccessary and didn't make a difference so I didn't do it. However if my lifters were filling with oil I would expect that I would not be able to compress them so easily.

Thanks for any input.
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 19:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: Hydraulic lifter install experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
I built a 331 stroker engine for my wife's 66 Mustang. The engine is a 1968 block with a retro-fit hydraulic roller cam in it.

When I started it up it makes a lot of clacking noise but runs ok. I removed the valve cover and even though I get a good pressure reading on the oil guage and I hear oil draining back into the pan when the engine is shut-off there is no oil coming to the roller rockers. I can also compress the lifters on closed valves with the pushrod. Lifter preload was set at contact plus 1/2 turn. Rockers are adjustable.

The pushrods are new with a hole going through them for oil flow to the rockers. Everything is new. The lifters were purchased with the cam in a kit from Lunati.

What I would like to know is how many people here have built their engines with hydraulic lifters and did not fill them first by compressing the plunger with the lifter submerged in oil? I read that this was not neccessary and didn't make a difference so I didn't do it. However if my lifters were filling with oil I would expect that I would not be able to compress them so easily.

Thanks for any input.
Yes, I always submerge lifters in oil and pump them up before installing. Got caught once with a set of Rhoads lifters.
Jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:27   #3 (permalink)

It helps (and I'd recommend it) but should still pump up with a little running. Your geometry could be out - check your pushrod length. If too short (or too long but unlikely) you will get unbalanced/angled plunge pressure which can prevent the lifters from pumping up. This has happened to me before.
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 13:14   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jars
Yes, I always submerge lifters in oil and pump them up before installing. Got caught once with a set of Rhoads lifters.
I've never done it and had no problems.
Was I lucky? What happened with your lifters? Did they not fill at all?

Thanks
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 17:14   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northey
I've never done it and had no problems.
Was I lucky? What happened with your lifters? Did they not fill at all?

Thanks
Maybe I was unlucky - had a couple of lazy lifters on start up - had to pull them and prime them. From then on I have always primed lifters before installing.
Jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 13:40   #6 (permalink)

I've only run the engine for 3-4 minutes at a time from fear from the noise the lifters are making.

I wrote to Lunati cams and they said to run the engine about 10-15 minutes until the lifters pump up. I called and talked with a tech and he said to prime the engine well first by running the pump with a drill and then running it until the lifters get quiet. He didn't seem too put off by the lifters not being primed prior to installation nor running it while they made noise.

The Rhodes lifters are quick bleed down lifters for varable cam timing and I would imagine they should be primed prior to installation.

Thanks for the input. Sometime in the next couple days I will try this out.
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech