I overheated my engine - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2004, 04:19   #1 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I overheated my engine

Ive just taken the fan off my EB and put the fans from an EF on at the same time replacing my rad with a brand new unit. My fans are only wired with a switch in the cabij at the moment while I wait for a capri switch from ord. The other night (coming home from drags actually) I was running off the road from falling asleep all the time so decided to stop for a power nap. I left the car idling and jumped in the back forgetting to turn the fans on. 40 mins later i woke up and the engine had stalled and my temp was just below the red. My brand new rad bottle had split on the cornerand most of my coolant had escaped as steam. I didnt drive the car but left it turned off and staryed walking, the next day we towed it home and i filled it. It starts as before and runs fine but I cant help wonder if there is other damage that could have happened. What would actually cause the engine to stop?
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2004, 05:03   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: I overheated my engine

Steam I hope!!! If there was still some coolant in block? It should be o/k..I guess it got hot then blew header bottle.Hopefully stopped engine...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 14:32   #3 (permalink)
Formerly ef_ghiaI6

can i ask why u went to sleep with it running? if the car is running fine, without any noticeable leaks, it probably is alright. Id be looking for leaks around heads etc..
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 15:28   #4 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

When you were as tired as I was you may as well be drunkso you could say I wasn't thinking properly at the time. It seemed like a good idea to leave the car running and parklights on at the time. Theres no leaks im just worried and wondering what would cause it to stall and if it left damage. I keep wondering it it was at the point of seizing. To my knowledge theres no engine shutdown feature for retards like me ;P
Old 11-28-2004, 15:59   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

The heat in engine bay probably caused the dizzy or tfi to fail and made the engine shut down I would guess, fuel got so hot it vapour locked, could be any number of things, try a diagmostics maybe a clue will be thrown your way.

I have run engines pretty damn hot before with no damage, the worst I find is that the extreme heat is not so kind on head gaskets, they keep on keeping but the life of them gets reduced, I am talking I6 not V8 of course.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 23:09   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

For $40 I'd replace cylinder head bolts..They stretch !!!
R.I.P Possum...
Old 11-28-2004, 23:20   #7 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
I cant help wonder if there is other damage that could have happened. What would actually cause the engine to stop?
if the car is on gas(lp gas/lpg) the gas converter would have frozen once coolent level dropped after the tank blew and caused the motor to stop, otherwise the water could have sprayed onto leads etc also
as for damage, i've cracked rings by cooking a motor, and a mate cracked the head of an XF doing same, i'd get the cooling system pressure tested first, as this would show blown head gaskets or cracks i think
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 23:23   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
For $40 I'd replace cylinder head bolts..They stretch !!!
Sorry I was thinking 6 cylinder..She'll be right...
R.I.P Possum...
Old 11-29-2004, 06:38   #9 (permalink)

MEtal expands as it heats up. A hole in metal, contrary to popular belief, actually expands as it heats up too. Aluminium expands faster than cast iron/steel, so it gets to the point where the pistons become to tight in the bore and essentially seize. Alot of the time the engien will run again once its cooled down, but often irrepairable damage is done- sometimes very minor, sometimes major.
When a car overheats, you usially feel it misfiring. I dunno what causes this, but it could have (probably) stalled due to missfiring before it overheated and seized. I think its worth finding out what exactly happnes (in general) to car engines when they begin to overheat- what causes the misfiring.
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 08:01   #10 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

You can crack heads etc if you keep overheating it and cooling down.. However I doubt you will have any of the afforementioned problems.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech