importing crate 302's from the states??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2004, 23:50   #1 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

importing crate 302's from the states???

Hey guys

Ive started brainstorming some ideas about building up an XP 2 Door Futura and I have been seriously contemplating importing a Mustang 302 (early 90's) from the States (something like 400hp out of the box?). I want to do this because they are allready pretty powerful engines and it would save me time and money rebuilding one down here and trying to get some decent power out of it. Also because a 302 will jump straight into an XP :) Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the subject or if someone can talk to me about some experience they've had with exporters in the states. Also if anyone knows of any web sites where i can check out some companys who exports.

Thanks,
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2004, 00:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: importing crate 302's from the states???

Oooh another fellow XPC enthuisiast.

Do you really want the coupe to have that many ponies? I mean it's the car that's the main attraction in this instance.

I made some tentative queries about the crate motors and the hidden costs soon mounted up, so I have stayed with the rebuilding a 289, with early 302 2V windsor heads, lopey tighe cam, fuel injection, etc. It should get up and boogie enough to satisfy. But then again I have an LS1 I can tramp if I get the urge for brute force.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:28   #3 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Ahhh yeah mate, i love the things. Im only 20 but ive wanted one for ages now. Always dreamed of having a really mean lookin XP coupe. What kind of prices were you told and what kind of engine were you asking about? (if you dont mind)
Old 09-20-2004, 02:54   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Import the hi po parts and build a strong engine here...Would work out much cheaper and you know exactly what you are getting......

http://www.crateengine.net/

www.roushparts.com

http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/main.asp
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:12   #5 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Thanks EBXR8240. What would you suggest? Carby fed setup or an EFI 302? I like the carby setup for its simplicity to tune, gruntier sound and old school look. Come to think of it, i cant find many pros with EFI except the ability to tune it to the dot (which costs money)
Old 09-20-2004, 03:30   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Import the hi po parts and build a strong engine here...Would work out much cheaper and you know exactly what you are getting......

http://www.crateengine.net/

www.roushparts.com

http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/main.asp
And another

http://www.dssracing.com/
R.I.P Possum...
Old 09-20-2004, 03:37   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Imo a good carb set up using roller type block or atleast top of the line valve gear..Using all roller valve train..Thats not saying to go mad on cam timing...Imo the Crane 2030 or 2031 would be excellent carb cams...
The efi is mainly good for epa and tractability, efficiency.To get good numbers with efi costs bloody heaps.But carb is very cheap compared and possibly make heaps more power..At the slighy expence of fuel consumption..
Go carb...
R.I.P Possum...
Old 09-20-2004, 03:47   #8 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Thats some good advice mate, thanks for that :) Just wondering how far id get with 5-6k with a 302 carb setup (buying the engine and bits and peices). Ill be putting it together myself most likely with the help of my old man who used to build engines.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:54   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

$3k good heads AFR, TFS,Holley, Edelbrock etc
$ 1k Carb and inlet???
The rest on top notch valve gear and I beam rods,Ross pistons or hypo pistons etc Should make it under that $$$ Just!!!...
Talk to the guys at www.vpw.com.au
R.I.P Possum...
Old 09-20-2004, 16:01   #10 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Damn its quite expensive to build a semi-tough engine. Im VERY new to the whole carby scene mate, all i know about is EFI. So its sort of confusing on what kind of carby id need ie. double pumper... 600... twin 450's etc etc. But ill take a look at vpw.com. With that sort of money will i push 350ish hp? Could you suggest a good combo for the amount of money im willing to spend? Its just that its confusing to find the best setup will all the different amount of flow the heads/inlet gives. Thanks again mate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech