Ford Forums banner

importing crate 302's from the states???

3K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
Hey guys

Ive started brainstorming some ideas about building up an XP 2 Door Futura and I have been seriously contemplating importing a Mustang 302 (early 90's) from the States (something like 400hp out of the box?). I want to do this because they are allready pretty powerful engines and it would save me time and money rebuilding one down here and trying to get some decent power out of it. Also because a 302 will jump straight into an XP :) Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the subject or if someone can talk to me about some experience they've had with exporters in the states. Also if anyone knows of any web sites where i can check out some companys who exports.

Thanks,
Nick

#2 ·
Oooh another fellow XPC enthuisiast.

Do you really want the coupe to have that many ponies? I mean it's the car that's the main attraction in this instance.

I made some tentative queries about the crate motors and the hidden costs soon mounted up, so I have stayed with the rebuilding a 289, with early 302 2V windsor heads, lopey tighe cam, fuel injection, etc. It should get up and boogie enough to satisfy. But then again I have an LS1 I can tramp if I get the urge for brute force.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks EBXR8240. What would you suggest? Carby fed setup or an EFI 302? I like the carby setup for its simplicity to tune, gruntier sound and old school look. Come to think of it, i cant find many pros with EFI except the ability to tune it to the dot (which costs money)

#6 ·
#7 ·
Imo a good carb set up using roller type block or atleast top of the line valve gear..Using all roller valve train..Thats not saying to go mad on cam timing...Imo the Crane 2030 or 2031 would be excellent carb cams...
The efi is mainly good for epa and tractability, efficiency.To get good numbers with efi costs bloody heaps.But carb is very cheap compared and possibly make heaps more power..At the slighy expence of fuel consumption..
Go carb...

#9 ·
$3k good heads AFR, TFS,Holley, Edelbrock etc
$ 1k Carb and inlet???
The rest on top notch valve gear and I beam rods,Ross pistons or hypo pistons etc Should make it under that $$$ Just!!!...
Talk to the guys at www.vpw.com.au

#10 ·
Damn its quite expensive to build a semi-tough engine. Im VERY new to the whole carby scene mate, all i know about is EFI. So its sort of confusing on what kind of carby id need ie. double pumper... 600... twin 450's etc etc. But ill take a look at vpw.com. With that sort of money will i push 350ish hp? Could you suggest a good combo for the amount of money im willing to spend? Its just that its confusing to find the best setup will all the different amount of flow the heads/inlet gives. Thanks again mate.

#11 ·
350 H.P a set of gt40P's would make that lightly ported for around $1000. check their valve springs or replace them...Way back I built a tuff carb 289 it had Weind Excellerator inlet[ there are supposidly better manifolds now] the smallest Holley four barrel slightly loppy cam but the latter roller cams would make easy tractable power imo..Yes the valve gear can be expensive but other than heads its the valve gear's timing and geometry that gets it there reliably..Yes vacuum secondary 600 Holley would go well... Do you have an engine??? You could buy one from www.suburbanimports.com.au ans sell the efi gear you won't need?????Or buy a long block ????

#12 ·
F.s at Suburban....

FORD 302W - Reconditioned Long Motor.
Ford 302W motor comes with new electronic distributor, reco 4BLL carberettor, new alloy water pump, pulleys, new drive plate, new alternator and brackets, new fan, new gear reduction starter, exhaust manifolds, new thermostat housing, new air cleaner, motor suitable for unleaded fuel or LPG..Cost $4300 #557A. 12 months guarantee.

#13 ·
ebxr8240 said:
350 H.P a set of gt40P's would make that lightly ported for around $1000. check their valve springs or replace them...Way back I built a tuff carb 289 it had Weind Excellerator inlet[ there are supposidly better manifolds now] the smallest Holley four barrel slightly loppy cam but the latter roller cams would make easy tractable power imo..Yes the valve gear can be expensive but other than heads its the valve gear's timing and geometry that gets it there reliably..Yes vacuum secondary 600 Holley would go well... Do you have an engine??? You could buy one from www.suburbanimports.com.au ans sell the efi gear you won't need?????Or buy a long block ????
I dont have an engine as yet, thats why i was thinking of buying a whole engine, to save stuffing around sourcing parts n stuff.

#14 ·
ebxr8240 said:
F.s at Suburban....

FORD 302W - Reconditioned Long Motor.
Ford 302W motor comes with new electronic distributor, reco 4BLL carberettor, new alloy water pump, pulleys, new drive plate, new alternator and brackets, new fan, new gear reduction starter, exhaust manifolds, new thermostat housing, new air cleaner, motor suitable for unleaded fuel or LPG..Cost $4300 #557A. 12 months guarantee.
$4300??? Damn that sounds expensive, i could probably buy an EFI engine for less than that. Long motor is everything from the sump to the ignition leads yeah? Would it be better looking for a short motor and put heads/manifold/carby on it myself? But then id need all the ancilleries...

#15 ·
MustangNicko said:
Hey guys

Ive started brainstorming some ideas about building up an XP 2 Door Futura and I have been seriously contemplating importing a Mustang 302 (early 90's) from the States (something like 400hp out of the box?). I want to do this because they are allready pretty powerful engines and it would save me time and money rebuilding one down here and trying to get some decent power out of it. Also because a 302 will jump straight into an XP :) Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the subject or if someone can talk to me about some experience they've had with exporters in the states. Also if anyone knows of any web sites where i can check out some companys who exports.

Thanks,
Nick
give suburban imports in brookvale nsw a call he has a whole heap of new motors in various states of tune including full rollers,carb,efi,short,long and complete....:)

#16 ·
MustangNicko said:
$4300??? Damn that sounds expensive, i could probably buy an EFI engine for less than that. Long motor is everything from the sump to the ignition leads yeah? Would it be better looking for a short motor and put heads/manifold/carby on it myself? But then id need all the ancilleries...
Thats complete with carb etc...Would possibly cost you more getting parts yourself???? Depends on what heads and cam he has installed ???

Yes he sells all sorts and has them advertised on there site...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.