increasing horsepower - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 21:57   #1 (permalink)

increasing horsepower

I am almost done tearing down my 351W. All I have left is to take the crank, rods, pistons, and main bearings out so I'm starting to do some heavy research of ways to increase horsepower and stay within a budget at the same time. After getting down to the block, I can see that the motor is not in bad shape at all. Therefore, I want to keep the block stock and just build up the top end. Other than having a machinist port the stock heads, what else can I have done to increase horsepower? Possibly the intake ported?
hunnerdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 10:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: increasing horsepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnerdean View Post
I am almost done tearing down my 351W. All I have left is to take the crank, rods, pistons, and main bearings out so I'm starting to do some heavy research of ways to increase horsepower and stay within a budget at the same time. After getting down to the block, I can see that the motor is not in bad shape at all. Therefore, I want to keep the block stock and just build up the top end. Other than having a machinist port the stock heads, what else can I have done to increase horsepower? Possibly the intake ported?
A change of cam to a little bigger one is usually the esiest way to up the HP, or an increase in C/R along with a bit bigger cam. An aftermarket timing set dialed in slightly advanced, vs OEM slighly retarded, helps. Porting might or might not help depending on knowledge & expierience of the porter. Sometimes hogging out can cause loss of port velocity if done excessively & be counterproductive. If heads are ported the intake will need to be port matched to them. A new intake can help, but probably not a huge amount on a stock engine. Something like an Edelbrock Performer RPM or Air-Gap, but don't get one that is for high RPM use, they don't do as well on the street
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:18   #3 (permalink)

I'm using the stock heads for the rebuild and I'm looking at the Edelbrock Performer Air-Gap manifold for 1500-6500 rpm, but will this intake bolt directly on with stock heads? The motor is an 84.
hunnerdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 13:31   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnerdean View Post
I'm using the stock heads for the rebuild and I'm looking at the Edelbrock Performer Air-Gap manifold for 1500-6500 rpm, but will this intake bolt directly on with stock heads? The motor is an 84.
Shouldn't be a problem.
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech