Ford Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intake Resonator

8K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  philstoj 
#1 ·
Why is there a tube that looks like something a dog would leave behind on the intake pipe of EB - AU V8s.
Ford call this a intake resonator and i agree I have taken this many times hoping to see a difference in performance and sure enough I do but a very negative gain and a roar coming from the front of my car. I have tryed changing the ignition timing to see if the car will go better if not return to the way it was without the tube but no success..I have no doubt in my mind that with a proper tune either with a piggyback or aftermarket computer this tube can be
removed, is this what Ford has done with the AUIII TS50 cause it doesnt have this resonator.

#2 ·
There is no performance gain by removing it, actualy if anything it's the reverse. The resonator is there to firstly quieten down the induction roar, and secondly the increased volume between the TB and the MAF is suppose to help throttle response (only very slightly I imagine).

#4 ·
Ive only heard of it being used to quiten down the intake (who wants that?) and also to provide a 'buffer' of air in the event you snap open the TB, apparantley it will vent from the resonator as there can be resistance from the snorke/box/filter. Have heard of people experimenting with size and shape to some benefit, spose it'd be alright if you had free dyno access. Alas, my intake and resonator are long gone...

#7 ·
philstoj said:
Ive removed the whole rubber setup and run a 3" steel pipe, the throttle response is much better than the ford setup...

Is that all there was to it.. No tuning nothing just the steel pipe and your car runs better.....

#8 ·
MADNC_8 said:
a little fact, EB1 V8's dont have the pipe, just a straight piece of rubber pipe from the maf to throttle body

So do you have this resonator still on your car?

#10 ·
One Ford Drone said:
Yup, to prevent damage from backfires.. But we know that never happens anyway!! Mine has a nice big welsh plug in its spot.

Does your car run better if not the same without this "poo tube".

#12 ·
hot_eb said:
nope - my xr8 doesn't....but my series 2 v8 fairlane did...so must be a series 2 onward thing..the only thing i noticed when i plugged it up on the fairlane was it made a bit more induction noise...no noticed performance gain/loss (going by good old seat of pants feel anyway!)

I havnt managed to get my car running good without this poo tube...

#16 ·
I have a Herrod pipe on mine 3" but I couldn't tell you if it went any better than the stock one as it had been cut with a 300A impco gas mixer obstructing the flow.
Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.