At last I (will) own a V8! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2003, 20:53   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

At last I (will) own a V8!

Just put the deposit down for a 5/99 AU1 XR8. Galaxy Blue, Auto, Bodykit, 17's and all the electrics minus the sunroof. A delivery date of after Christmas but before new years is expected.

Anyway, I want to discuss mods. Now, of course the first obvious one would be to go headers and exhaust. But even that is cause for a debate. What to get tri y's or pacie's 4 into 1. Then it's exhaust, to touch or not to touch the cats, is that a question? Then from cat back do I go a single 3" lukey or dual 2 1/4?

I dont know what come sotck on the au1 xr8 windsor as theres so many variants over the 11 years it has been used since returning. Some had alloy heads, some didn't. Some had 1.72 roller rockers. Was that from AU2 onawards?

Now onto heads. If I put 1.72roller rockers on, if I change heads later on do i need to change the roller rockers again? Or does it depend if its an aftermarket head (trickflow / AFR) i need to but a GT40 X or something would be ok?

Where to start asking now? Ohh intake... AU1 XR8's had ther 70mm MAF am I correct? Is it worth going to 82mm maf? El2 xr8 onwards had explorer intake yes? what about a phenolic pacer ive heard of it but dont even know what it does!

Last but not least would be a chip. ALso a very debatable topic. What to go for pigyback or replcement. Would also depend on what I want to do down the track. I would love to go full hog down the track with a stroker kit, but I dont know, i doubt it. Can never rule it out though but id like a chip you can keep chaning to suit after each mod. I guess you can say it would just be better to get the chip after all the toher mods. Well to be honest I dont even know where to start, let alone where or when I will finish. I suppose when the money runs out which wont be very long around this time of the year...

Alot of questions I know. But I'd really appreciate some advice form you guys who have been there done that as i dont want to expreince it for myself just want to get the best first shot.

Ohh one last thing, is it worth going 3.7's up the bum. 3.45 standard but for 1/4 mile times isnt 3.7 rally good as you are high in rev range in 3rd instead of just starting 3rd in 3.45?

I'll be at Heathcote in January so i'll be curious to see what times I get. What should I expect for stock as a rock as mentioned above auto 150k on the odo?

Hope to catch up with all you guys from vic at hathcote in the new year!
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2003, 22:23   #2 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Re: At last I (will) own a V8!

Congrats mate! I know you've been hanging out for this!!

"Five litres of Ford's finest cast iron!"
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 22:39   #3 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

well done mate... hope it treats ya well... i think for your mods you should get a different throttle body, maf, alloy heads, intake manifold, chip and exhaust to see some real gains, best of luck with it anyway!!!

For Sale: 2001 Yamaha WR400F
PM me for info
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 00:55   #4 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Good stuff! I look forward to seeing it around.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:22   #5 (permalink)

What about a switchable shift kit?I havent had anything to do with these tho as i have a manual
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 02:20   #6 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

1) 4>2>1s are the way to go with extractors
2) Stock Ford cats are excellent, leave her alone
3) Cat back exhaust is personal preference... Twin looks cool and sounds pretty good but single is better performance wise but may drone.
4) Street Terra ST2027's should be able to fit aftermarket heads and will certainly work with FMS ones
5) MAF and TB should be big enough, money is better spent elsewhere
6) A chip? argh, I would save up for a whole new system myself like MoTec. :)
7) 3.45 --> 3.7 - May not notice the difference but you will have better acceleration

Good Luck.
Old 12-20-2003, 23:20   #7 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Right, thanks guys. Yeah I'll get an SSK too. I'll only do subtle mods for a while. I have big plan for this car as i plan to keep it for a long time.

I really would like to put alloy heads on, as much as being a performance gain they should be alot lighter too. Chips, I dont know mucha bout them so dont knwo what to get or wehat too look for. I'll see later on.

Hey PigDog how about that run now man?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Old 12-20-2003, 23:35   #8 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Hey PigDog how about that run now man?
No probs! I should be getting tyres in the next week!!

"Five litres of Ford's finest cast iron!"
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 03:39   #9 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Congrat's mate, good to hear of another Galaxy Blue AU XR8, it's a real nice colour isn't it,I have the 4-1 header's and single 2.5 inch zort's,great sound and noticeable power,I also have the Unichip installed which I must say is fantastic, smoother acelleration,and much better economy on the Hwy, much better than standard,all the above was performed by the boy's at Herrod's, so do yourself a favour and talk to them about your need's,you will be happy,just like I am.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 03:55   #10 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Ohh yeah thanks Galaxy. How much was your mods all up if you dont mind me asking?
If you can price them individually too that would be great.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech