Ford Forums banner

Late Model Ignition For Early Windsor??

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Racer 
#1 ·
The dizzy in my mustang is due for a rebuild and I've been considering an electronic upgrade.I've read a few posts in U.S. mustang forums sugesting that later model ford electronic ignition is a cheep worthwhile upgrade one sugested using the ford dizzy with a chrysler module for a bigger spark.

Unfortunatly I don't know a hole lot about about electronic ignition having been a points man and am thinking perhaps I consider the the benafits especially since I wish to add a blower in the future and can't see much point in redoing the ingnition system twice.

Does anyone know if any of the electronic ingnitions on the Aussie fords will suit my early windsor????

thanks

#2 ·
The efi dissy doesn't have spark advance etc..An MSD or similar system is possibly your go..Especially if you are going s/c latter on. They are boost sensitive and made just for this application...

#3 ·
G
#4 ·
Used MSD Pro billet small diam dizzy w 6AL quality was spot on worked a treat, no vac though but with my combo econ was hardly an issue. If want to add blower then use retard add ons or digital programmable ign mod (dig 7 etc) all work with the billet series dizzys, stuck with modded standard stuff for ages but one look at MSD stuff is all it takes!

#6 ·
EEC !!

Electronic Engine Control....Ford name for their ecu...

#7 ·
and I thaught thats what the module did. . . . I thaught the fuel injection and ignition controls were seperate.

Maybe I should have paid attention in the late seventy's when this stuff was new and then I wouldn't be scratching my head now. :idk: :idk:

#9 ·
Your talking about Duraspark II electronic ignition? they use the same large cap as the TFI dizzys fitted to 5.0efi engines.
They were used on 1977 to 1984 US Ford V-8 car and light truck engines.
It uses a dizzy with the same mechanical and vacume advance as the points dizzys only the points plate has been replaced with the magnetic pick up plate, even the early points cap and rotor fit.
Im using one on my 302 with the early small cap and rotor fitted and blue strain control module which has a white wire that when energised retards the dizzy 18 degrees for easy starting or maybe it could be used to retard the ignition on forced induction setups?you can also wire the dizzy to a MSD6AL type ignition for even more spark or use the chrysler ,gm or bosche module if you want. I bought the dizzy and two new Duraspark II control modules off US ebay for $80Aus delivered and fitted it about a year ago with no problems .

Attachments

#12 ·
I'm willing to be a guinea pig for one of those new Crane adjustable dizzys - if someone will buy my near new MSD Pro-Billet (black small cap)
Fully adjustable and they even have an inbuilt MAP sensor for timing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.