Ford Forums banner

loud engine noise

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  chrisxr8 
#1 ·
ever since getting the exhaust on its been one thing to another. the clutch gone cruise has just stoped working ( i think it may have been discon during clutch change and know there is a tapping noise coming from the engine bay somewhere (could it be tappets) i dont know has anyone else had similar noises coming from the engine.come to think of it it might have always been there but no way near as loud as it is now. i should have just left the standard exhaust on. not...

#3 ·
The tapping noise may be the throwout arm vibrating on the bellhousing. Mine did this after we put the manual in and I was convinced it was a lifter. Turned out we handn't put the return spring on the clutch pedel which keeps bit of tension in the cable. When did the cruise stop working? Does it turn on but not set? It may have a vac leak in the vac system. Your pedel switches may need to be adjusted toward the pedel a bit more.

#5 ·
Look under the car on the driver side and on the side of the bell housing there is a metal case that covers the area that the throwout arm sticks out of. The clutch cable enters the front of this. Its held on by one nut. I started the car and wiggled under to see what was actually going on. If it is this when you are driving and you put the clutch in or just rest your foot on the clutch the noise will dissapear. Thats how I dscovered there was no return spring on the pedel. WTB56 helped me out with this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.