loud engine noise - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2003, 23:32   #1 (permalink)
black xr8

Question loud engine noise

ever since getting the exhaust on its been one thing to another. the clutch gone cruise has just stoped working ( i think it may have been discon during clutch change and know there is a tapping noise coming from the engine bay somewhere (could it be tappets) i dont know has anyone else had similar noises coming from the engine.come to think of it it might have always been there but no way near as loud as it is now. i should have just left the standard exhaust on. not...
chrisxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2003, 23:34   #2 (permalink)
black xr8

Re: loud engine noise

by the way its an au ser1 xr8 that may help
Old 01-01-2004, 01:00   #3 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

The tapping noise may be the throwout arm vibrating on the bellhousing. Mine did this after we put the manual in and I was convinced it was a lifter. Turned out we handn't put the return spring on the clutch pedel which keeps bit of tension in the cable. When did the cruise stop working? Does it turn on but not set? It may have a vac leak in the vac system. Your pedel switches may need to be adjusted toward the pedel a bit more.
Old 01-01-2004, 16:16   #4 (permalink)
black xr8

Thumbs up Re: loud engine noise

you got it spot on the clutch pedal was holding the switch shut and wouldnt allow it to set. where would i find this throwout arm?
Old 01-01-2004, 17:38   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Look under the car on the driver side and on the side of the bell housing there is a metal case that covers the area that the throwout arm sticks out of. The clutch cable enters the front of this. Its held on by one nut. I started the car and wiggled under to see what was actually going on. If it is this when you are driving and you put the clutch in or just rest your foot on the clutch the noise will dissapear. Thats how I dscovered there was no return spring on the pedel. WTB56 helped me out with this one.
Old 01-01-2004, 22:53   #6 (permalink)
black xr8

thanks man. but it was found to be lose and was tightend only a week ago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech