Lowering tne compression on a 70 302 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 20:10   #1 (permalink)

Lowering tne compression on a 70 302

I might have to pull a head off a 27,000 original mile 302 to repair one damaged valve or guide that was damaged when starting it after a 30 year storage or was the reason it was parked,since the heads are not made with hardened seats and the compression is at the edge of using the crappy regular grade gas I was thinking on seeing what set of heads have a larger combustion chamber to lower the compression a bit. It has what sounds like a lifter tick and I replaced the lifters when I changed it to a 4 bbl but have located the tick to one valve,I will be replacing the pushrod,rocker arm and valve spring on the valve in question and if the tick is still there the head will have to come off since it will be a bent valve or broken guide. Are there a set of heads that have larger combustion chambers or will I be stuck with the compression ratio since it probably has flat top pistons. Jeff
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 07:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: Lowering tne compression on a 70 302

My info stops @ 1980. If you have a 302-2V CC is 63. 302-4V is 53.5. '77-(?) 302 &351w is 69CC, 73-76 is 58.2 CC, '69-76 351W is 60.4. Using 69CC would be 8.3-8.4, 58.2 would be 9.4-9.5, 60.4 would be 9.2-9.3
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 14:52   #3 (permalink)

Re: Lowering tne compression on a 70 302

It looks like I will look for the 77 heads and are there thicker head gaskets available in case I the original heads. Jeff
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech