MAF, worth it? And 1.72's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2004, 07:37   #1 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

MAF, worth it? And 1.72's

Hi guys, just been reading this article at capa and i'll post the link.
Can you guys check it out and see if you agree with it. And is it worth the $700 they ask for one? As for my car it's a standard 185Kw XR8 (Dec '00 ute), do you think the gains would be even noticible for the money? I plan on doing other mods as well, just trying to find a starting order.

Any other ideas specific to this motor would be appreciated, as in anything you've heard that this spec motor responds well to.

http://www.capa.com.au/ford_power_parts_gms.htm

Also, instead of making another thread:
I hear alot of people saying "get the YT 1.72 RR's" but i'm unfamiliar with V8 internals. Is this a simple bolt on and start the motor with more kW mod? And how does it give the car more power? Effect drivability? And again, is it worth the $?

Cheers
Bryan

Oh yeah, i haven't zorsted it yet, can't decide between duals or single (thanks to you guys lol)

Previously: AUII XR8 ute which I miss!
-Nemesis- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2004, 10:49   #2 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Re: MAF, worth it? And 1.72's

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8_Ute
Hi guys, just been reading this article at capa and i'll post the link.
Can you guys check it out and see if you agree with it. And is it worth the $700 they ask for one? As for my car it's a standard 185Kw XR8 (Dec '00 ute), do you think the gains would be even noticible for the money? I plan on doing other mods as well, just trying to find a starting order.

Any other ideas specific to this motor would be appreciated, as in anything you've heard that this spec motor responds well to.

http://www.capa.com.au/ford_power_parts_gms.htm

Also, instead of making another thread:
I hear alot of people saying "get the YT 1.72 RR's" but i'm unfamiliar with V8 internals. Is this a simple bolt on and start the motor with more kW mod? And how does it give the car more power? Effect drivability? And again, is it worth the $?

Cheers
Bryan

Oh yeah, i haven't zorsted it yet, can't decide between duals or single (thanks to you guys lol)

On a stock AU I wouldn't bother with a MAF just yet. The stock 70mm one is pretty good really and $700 is a total joke of a price. The roller rockers would be a better place to start. They will make more power because the 1.72 ratio effectively increases your valve lift, it's just like changing to a slightly bigger cam. Also the roller causes much less frictional load on the motor which gives a gain too.

"Five litres of Ford's finest cast iron!"
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 14:43   #3 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigDog
On a stock AU I wouldn't bother with a MAF just yet. The stock 70mm one is pretty good really and $700 is a total joke of a price. The roller rockers would be a better place to start. They will make more power because the 1.72 ratio effectively increases your valve lift, it's just like changing to a slightly bigger cam. Also the roller causes much less frictional load on the motor which gives a gain too.
Im pretty sure your ute has a 65mm T/B and a 65mm MAF. As for the roller rockers i thought these were already on your windsor. Can anyone confirm if these model utes got the RR included?
Old 03-11-2004, 15:32   #4 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Thomas, only the 220kw motor got the yella terra rockers.

"Five litres of Ford's finest cast iron!"
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 15:38   #5 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

My 200kw Job has 1.6 rollers, but yes the 220's got the Yellow terra items. As for the 185 motors, the may be the old style 1.62's I think they are.

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 15:41   #6 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

I'd be looking at exhaust first mate! And go with a twin system, after about 3 or 4 revisions of my single system, I'm looking into making my own twin system with custom X chamber. The only thing I could say to help you with exhaust systems is research them and try to find examples of systems you like the sound of.
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 18:16   #7 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Thanks guys. Yeah i've done alot of exhaust research here and people seem to be split as to what's best. I gather the general consencus is: * Duals sound better but less gains * Single drones, but best gains. This sound right? Exhaust will definately come first, just seeing what else before i got it re-tuned with aftermarket chip.

I always wonder too, with the availability of these simple bolt on mods like the RR's, why didn't Ford put them on in the first place and advertise the car as 190Kw or whatever...... if it's so easy? I've never doen any internal motor work, would it be a job for the experts, albeit i'm very quick to learn. Does the motor require re-tuning after install?

Old 03-11-2004, 18:25   #8 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Also: Just got this email reply. Comments.........?

Brian,

Buy the next issue of Performance Ford Magazine, we have done testing on a AU XR-8 with bolt on mods like heads, cam, manifold and 1.72 YT rockers. We picked up 6kw at the wheels by changing the rockers only. It is a straight bolt on rocker swap, the only complication is they may foul on the factory rocker covers. We got around that by using thicker rocker cover gaskets, this raised them up just enough to clear the rockers. We have a set of rockers on the shelf for $562 inc gst, thick gaskets are $28.

I hope this info helps
Thanks
George
HPW sales

Old 03-11-2004, 18:45   #9 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Quote:
Thanks guys. Yeah i've done alot of exhaust research here and people seem to be split as to what's best. I gather the general consencus is: * Duals sound better but less gains * Single drones, but best gains. This sound right? Exhaust will definately come first, just seeing what else before i got it re-tuned with aftermarket chip.

I always wonder too, with the availability of these simple bolt on mods like the RR's, why didn't Ford put them on in the first place and advertise the car as 190Kw or whatever...... if it's so easy? I've never doen any internal motor work, would it be a job for the experts, albeit i'm very quick to learn. Does the motor require re-tuning after install?
There are too many variables in exhaust design Ė including interaction with other modifications to make an all-encompassing statement like ďsingles drone but go, twin sound good but donít goĒ. However I would expect that twins would be less susceptible to drone (read more forgiving of bad designs). With regard to power output, you have to consider this as a function of frequency (engine speed). Windsors especially rely on back pressure for low down oomph. With my stock headers, I could light up the rear wheels from just idle. Now with the pacemakers I can hardly get them to chirp from idle (loss of back pressure = loss of low rev torque) but my ľ mile times were reduces because at higher reves, the engine was breathing much better so you need to determine what you what from your system. Personally I love the sound of an 8 and I believe that the 8ís are typically pretty strong down low anyway so Iím gong to investigate a twin system for those reasons ( Iíll be selling my current 2 Ĺ ď mandrel bent cat back at that stage if youíre interested )

The research I was referring to was also with regards to muffler brands. It seems that Magnaflow are the ducks-nuts but dear and not as common in Australia. Iím leaning towards Lukey straight throughs for my new system as Iíve got 1 of them now and it sounds good; the reviews Iíve read speak highly of them too so thatís my current state of thinking.

With regards to the ďwhy didnít ford put on the RRísĒ well then who would buy the more expensive models? Usually you have an engine base and you detune it the further down the model line you go as an incentive for buyers to option up their purchase. Also it leaves scope for subsequent series runs to up the ante. Who would want to upgrade to a series II or whatever if thereís no power increase

You can reset the computer if you like after the RR install. I didnít and everything was fine. Read my post further up, one of those links was to a thread in which I detailed my RR install. It is easy to do even if youíve got no experience. Read the thread, there are pics

Quote:
Also: Just got this email reply. Comments.........?

Brian,

Buy the next issue of Performance Ford Magazine, we have done testing on a AU XR-8 with bolt on mods like heads, cam, manifold and 1.72 YT rockers. We picked up 6kw at the wheels by changing the rockers only. It is a straight bolt on rocker swap, the only complication is they may foul on the factory rocker covers. We got around that by using thicker rocker cover gaskets, this raised them up just enough to clear the rockers. We have a set of rockers on the shelf for $562 inc gst, thick gaskets are $28.

I hope this info helps
Thanks
George
HPW sales
Well my comment would be Ö buy the magazine! Yes you certainly do need to watch rocker cover clearance, especially when you look at the roller rocker geometry compared to the very low profile standard 1.6:1 ratio rockers!
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 19:44   #10 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Wow, thanks for the detailed response. I hate asking so many n00b questions but the wealth of info from you guys here is priceless. About the 1.72's, the higher lift of the rockers will mean top end power gains right?
I see what you mean now by the exhaust scenario, I wouldn't mind losing a bit of torque, but not too much. Don't suppose you can get big top end gains and keep low end torque lol? Did you notice any decent gains from the cat's back system? I'm thinking of starting there to save the big output in $. Then upgrade headers and cats later on when the crave returns.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech