Ford Forums banner

magna injectors

11K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  !Gn|T|0n 
#1 ·
i seen someone posted up here the other day that they would be using magna injectors for their windsor upgrade.... @ 23.0lbs

what model magna would these be off, and has anyone else used them before?

#2 ·
I have used these injectors, they are rated at about 23.9lbs.
They should be off a TR Magna 4 cyl, and pretty common at wreckers.
There a bosch (blue)injector I think the part number is 775 ****...
Best to get them cleaned before you use them (about $200).

#3 ·
sweet, thanks dude....

i have a friend who'll clean em for me.....

going to have a look at the wreckers on tommorrow.....

#4 ·
have you checked with the manufacturer about any differances between the two injectors, ford - magna, as the have diffferent part #'s, if so could you let us know of the differances if any

#5 ·
Got this info off a FF search in the I6 section(thanks to kjoy064), and the net...

Au use

Bosch 0280155844 150.2 g/min@3bar Operating Presure 2.7bar 14.5ohms

Ea-Ef use
Bosch 0280150790 149.7 g/min@3bar Operating Presure 2.7bar 15.9ohms

(HSV & TR Magna) =
Bosch 0280150775 186.7 g/min@3bar Operating Presure 3.3bar 15.9ohms

Or use the BOSCH Engine Management Components Catalogue....

MAKE AND MODEL (Sensing device) F/PRESSURE Kpa. S/FLOW Ltr/hr IJ/FLOW cc/min

Falcon EB V8 (MAP) 250=300 kpa. 135 ltr/h 14-16 cc/min
Falcon ED 5.0ltr. SEFI (MAP) 250=290 kpa. 134/140 ltr/h 14-16 cc/min
Falcon XR 8 cyl. (MAP) 240=290 kpa. 120 ltr/h 16-18 cc/min
Falcon EF 8 cyl.. (MAP) 240=290 kpa. 120 ltr/h 16 cc/min
Falcon EF XR 8 cyl.. (MAP) 250=300 kpa. 130 ltr/h 14-15 cc/min
Fairmont EF 8 Cyl. 1994 (MAP) 250=300 kpa. 135 ltr/h 15-18 cc/min
Fairmont Ghia V8 5.0rtr. 1994 (MAP) 250=300 kpa. 135 ltr/h 15-18 cc/min

May mean more to some than others :fraz:

#9 ·
Or use the BOSCH Engine Management Components Catalogue....[/color]

Falcon EB V8 (MAP) 250=300 kpa. 135 ltr/h 14-16 cc/min

They are all maf..

#11 ·
#12 ·
Ahhh actually now that I think about it yes they did have map senser there "as well", it was to read bap..Baro / atmo pressure..
My car has one...But they are still sequential and maf sensered...

#13 ·
The stangstore ( www.stangstore.com ) has brand new 24lbs & 30 lbs Ford motorsport (Bosch) injectors for sale @ US $189. The shipping is the most expensive part - a small UPS box is US $160 but you could fit about 40 sets in the US $200 box. Ironically - they sell 5lt distributor caps & rotors for US $ 29.98 - anyone who has tried to purchase gear from Ford Australia will know the just the distributor cap is over $90 in most places. If we have enough definate numbers I would stick my hand up and bring some of this gear in and split the costs with whoever wanted to seriously save some money.I have purchased one set of injectors (plus new roller lifters - Ford Motorsport underdrive pulleys & GT40 gaskets (upper to lower)) and I got my gear within 8 days....
regards
Shane
(Falcon City - Adelaide)

#14 ·
Just adding my little piece.

I was involved in the Ford V Holden show here in Brisbane with my company Katicore Motorsport (www.katicore.com.au) we where there selling manifolds and every second person who had built engines or had them converted to EFI used TR or TN Magna injectors as they believed these flowed better then a new set of Bosch and saves quite a lot of money.

This idea is certainly not new but seems to work for everyone I spoke to.

Cheers

#15 ·
I had some injectors sent by mail..Sea $28.00[3 month's delivery] U.S by air $52.00 including insurance...[delivered within a week]
SO just get them to post them..
If not I have a Brother in Chicago..P.M me...

#16 ·
I have these injectors (the magna ones)Bosch 0280150775

186.7 g/min@3bar
Operating Pressure 3.3bar
What should I set the fuel pressure regulator at?
I had it at 39lbs with the vacuum off, should I pump it up to 43.5 lbs (3bar).
Or even higher like 48 lbs(3.3bar), vac off?

#17 ·
there is quite a differance in flow rates there between the magna and e series, i assume ( correct me if i'm wrong ) but to run the magna injectors you will ahve to use less fuel pressure than that if you were to run std ford inj, if so you would also have the added cost of an adj fuel press reg to compensate for the differances

#18 ·
Im thinking quite the opposite, as the magna injectors were tested to be 24lbs at 3bar (300kpa), so if anything the stock fuel pressire will have to go up! Even though 300kpa falls within the pressures on the listed E-series v8s, the stock pressure is 250 psi (2.5bar)I think?

My car has had 39psi fuel pressure, and it stalls first go on every start up, then I tried winding the pressure up (turned out to be around 50psi) and it started and ran sweet!
I thought this was too high so I dropped it back to 39psi, but now I'm thinking a higher pressure was probably the right thing to do!
I know this should probably be done on a dyno, but that costs money, and to me if I can see that the magna injectors were tested at 3bar to achieve 24lbs then dropping to 2.7 bar is probably causing the stalling and bad behavior.
The info I had also suggested they have an 'operating pressure' of 3.3bar, so would that make them act like 27lbs injectors when the 24lbs figure was at 3bar?
Now I have so many bloody questions stuck at the end of a thread begining with one simple one!
I will see what other data I can full of the web to shed more light on this stuff!

#20 ·
one problem with having the fuel pressure up that high is that it can shorten the life of the injectors, because the solinoid has to work harder to open and close the injector, and second thought of having the pressure that high is that you dont have full control of the fuel delivery as the injectors can have some lag due to the extra amounts of pressure exerted on them, better off with the pressure around 39psi and some and tunning the eec to suit. ie give the inj a longer pulse width the give the required amount of fuel.

#21 ·
svo347 said:
Sounds like you have computer controlling issues with the cold start rather than fuel pressure..
I have 24's & no dramas at all come freezing morning cold starts..
Yes, but are you using the magna ones?
My cold start problems went away after the fuel pressure went up too.

Found some stuff of the net, on a CAMS tech regulations bullatin...
"Original equipment fuel injectors may be replaced with Bosch #0280150775.Fuel pressure must notexceed320 kpa"

This may be what they need to be set at to work efficiently, or it could just be a rule...

The information I posted up earlier also suggests that they were ment to run at an 'operating pressure of 3.3bar'.
If anything it will stuff my pump I would think.
The info I got was second hand though, and I am looking for more data on these injectors to confirm the information.

#22 ·
The most wonderfully conflicting info found on the web...

Part Number 0-280-150-775

Flow 18.9 lbs/hr, 198.6cc/min

Rating @ 47.9 PSI / 3.3BAR

Also...

Bosch ford
Part Numbers F5DE and XR3E
Flow 24.0lbs/hr 252.2cc/min

http://carsoft.co.il/page3/Electronic%20Fuel%20Injector%28EFI%29%20Flow%20Data%20Table.htm

Looks like I will have to run the fuel pressure regulator up to 61psi :fraz:

Think I will just ring up Bosch and ask them.

Also found this site of interest...
http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm#WORKSHEET

#23 ·
Some info I dug up.....for archive sake.

(Ford truck7.5l)
0-280-150-728, 24.0lbs, 252.2cc/min @43psi / 2.96bar
High Impedance

(Ford5.0l, truck7.5l, FMS #24)
0-280-150-947, 24.35 lbs 255.9cc/min @39.15 psi / 2.7bar
------------ (24.25 lbs 254.9cc/min)

(Hsv/magna)
0-280-150-775, 18.65 lbs 196.0 cc/min @43 psi / 3.0bar
47.9psi / 3.3 bar op press, 186.7 gms/min @3bar.
15.9ohms High Impedance, EV1, clip: 9122067001

(E-series 5.0l)
0-280-155-821, 16.95lbs 150gms/min @43 psi / 3.0 bar
43 psi / 3.0 bar op press 178.1cc/min
14.5ohms, EV6, clip: 9122067001, Long Body

I have now upped the fuel pressure to 56psi (vac off), to equate to #24lbs at WOT.
The pressure drops with the vaccume line on to about 46-48lbs which is the 'operating pressure' for these injectors.
I also have a Kirban Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, nice piece of work.
So far the car starts first go, idle has improved, and generally it goes harder.
The car was detonating a little so I backed the timing off from 33 to 31 deg, with good results.

Some more info...
http://www.bosch.com.au/ (motor sport products,injectors)
http://www.bosch.com.au/sat/motorsport/downloads/fuelinjectors.pdf

#24 ·
Hmm what about runing the std inj with higher f/p...Say 42 Lp???
The reason they say not too much f/p is the pump MAY not be able to handle the volume required at that pressure....A 225 intank is a good upgrade...

#25 ·
It apears the standard injector are not even #19LBS, BUT 16.95LBS(@43PSI).
To get them to flow 24lbs/hr (for the GMS MAF)I would have to run them at 61-62psi.
The 775 injectors are designed to operate at 48psi and the current pressures are between 46 and 56 psi(vac off).
My pump is of concern. I may have to get a replacement or additional pump.
I'm going to see what the corral boys have done, and try and get it on a dyno to check air fuel ratios and timing/detonation, etc.
Will this determine weather i need a new pump, or is it a matter of if the stock pump will not handle the pressure and die, or not?

#26 ·
I would just like to try and clear up some things about the 775 injectors.
I had run these injectors at 56psi (vac off)(up from 39psi), with good results(1 sec off 1/4 mile time), however I did experience part throttle detonation, indicating that this wasn't enough.
After pulling my hair out and yelling at the calculator I figured that 60 psi would be best (vac off).
I also found the LS1 boys use these injectors at 60 psi, which is there stock fuel pressure, and they rate them at #24lbs.
I haven't had any audible detonation problems since, and I will get the air/fuel ratios checked on a dyno, but it looks like I have hit a nail on its head.
So any money you save with these injectors will have to go toards an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.