max hp from stock MAF sensor? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2003, 03:08   #1 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

max hp from stock MAF sensor?

just what to know whats a realistic max hp a stock MAF sensor from a 5.0 can support?

im doing a MAF+sefi conversion on my car soon (as soon as i get the comp) and i need a MAF. im hoping for 160RWKW, which is about 210 or 220 at the flywheel, based on previous dyno runs and other peoples experiences...

will a stock maf be big enough or will it restrict my TQE?

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2003, 06:24   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: max hp from stock MAF sensor?

The stock 55mm MAF is only good for 185kw's or 120ish rwkw's. I have seen 150rwkw's with one but it was holding back the engine big time.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 07:22   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yep.. What he said...Looking at them its a wander they even make 185 kw...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 14:33   #4 (permalink)
3FB Educator!

My old one was doing 160 at the rears.
I have put on a Maxflow/Vortech/C&L and yet to put it on the dyno but seat of the pants says that I have a bit more torque in the lower and mid range revs and also a little more hp in the upper rev range.
I will post up the new dyno result as soon as I find a dyno place open between the Xmas and new year break or in the new year.
B-1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 00:54   #5 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

well that sucks..anybody ever ported their MAF? did it make a difference? anyone have one for sale thats bigger than stock?

Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
Old 12-26-2003, 03:03   #6 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Don't waste your time with the 55mm MAF at all. Try and find a 70mm AU MAF would be your best bet. See if you can score a test drive of an AU V8 without the salesman and swap the MAF bodies over

If i can find the spare cash to get a unichip I'll be using an 82mm cobra MAF i have and then there'll be a cheap 70mm for sale but that'll be a few months away at least..

"Five litres of Ford's finest cast iron!"
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 04:05   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

you ever seen the inside of one of those rollin? they arent like most of the jap ones that are full flow with the wire right across the tube. These ones have 2 holes, the main hole, and then the small tube to the side which reads a proportion of the air flow. Even the design of it looks like it would cause some restriction. What are the main benifits of going to Maf and whats the benifits of SEFI? SEFi would be a bragging rights because I can't really see much gains apart from drivability (which would be small anyway) Maf I guess you might be better setup for cams and the like. Im not tryin to knock ya I just cant understand it thats all.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:43   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yes its ok with the right parts.The XR series should have had Cobra or Sprint type engines in them from the start imo....
Hell even the V6 work Rodeo maf puts them to shame...
There is map as in six's[pre 88 V8's 5 Ltr] then there's maf that reads the density of incoming air so in theory NO matter what changes are done to engine, it can tune / around it...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:49   #9 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

sequential efi just gives slightly better emissions/fuel economy than the group fire setup on pre-AU falcons, and also it might help smooth out the idle a little, im expecting it to be pretty rough with this cam...have to see...

IMHO the benifits of MAF over MAP are mainly that MAF reads the actual amount of air coming into the engine, whereas the MAP sensor reads the vacuume in the manifold and the air temp and then has to work out the weight of the air going into the engine from that.

if you put a big cam in a MAP based car the computer reads less vaccume and thinks there is load on the engine, or that the airflow is higher than it really is, so it starts pouring in too much fuel, and the car runs poorly - it restricts the size of cam you can have really. for highly boosted applications then im under the impression MAP is better, due to less flow restriction, and maybe something to do with the computer not coping well with the huge airflow VS rpm difference, as compared to NA. thats just a guess though.

so the main reason im changing to MAF is to allow a bigger cam to be fitted, for the full programmability of the computer, and the apparent ease of tuning.

Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech