Modding the EB (finally!), any advice for me? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2005, 16:27   #1 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Modding the EB (finally!), any advice for me?

Hi all,

I have several general questions regarding what to get for my EB (V8, auto). Firstly I’ll give you all a rundown of what I’d like to do to her: The CAPA Powerdyne kit has gotten me *very* excited, and by the end of summer I should have $2-3k to play with. This obviously isn’t nearly enough for the kit, and my car is COMPLETELY stock, however I was thinking of modding the engine’s intake/heads/exhaust before supercharging.

I would like to get the following:

• 75mm MAF (to use before I get the tuned 73mm MAF with the Powerdyne kit, or maybe get the 73mm one and delete it from the kit when bought?)
• 70mm T/B
• Explorer intake manifold
• GT40 (p?) heads
• 3.73 diff gears
• Twin 2.5” exhausts
• Extractors (I will get back to this in a minute)
• Cam + RRs (ditto)
• Underdrive pulleys
• Thermofan conversion

I am opting for the Explorer intake and the GT40 heads for “truck” style performance which I believe will suit my driving style best as I tend to do a lot of cruising, or low to mid range (revs) squirts from time to time. Also I think these would suit supercharging application quite well too (correct me if I’m wrong). My aim is for a “mild/budget” setup with the Powerdyne blower, as I don’t want to sink more dollars into such areas as the bottom end, block, transmission, fuel delivery (although slightly larger injectors [42lb?] would probably be a good thing!)

At the end of summer, I’m planning to get the diff gears, twin exhaust + extractors done, plus maybe the MAF & T/B. My main questions are:

• What type (tri-y/4-in-1)/brand extractors should I get which would suit the future Powerdyne setup? I’d like extractors which connect up OK with the standard E7 heads, and will also connect up with the GT40s (if this isn’t possible, I’ll wait until later on when I can afford both extractors + GT40s & get them done at the same time)
• What profile cam should I get which would suit a blown 5.0? I would mainly like power from 1500 to 5500rpm, as I doubt that I will go past 5500 regularly, if at all (unless by changing the engine’s top end its power range climbs?). I’m aware that the Powerdyne kit comes with a chip to smooth things out, so I suppose if I get a cam in first (or simultaneously) I could get a chip that would run best with this setup, rather than having to get another chip later on to suit a cam that’s fitted afterwards.

I mainly want to get things right the FIRST time, rather than say get some extractors now & find out that they either don’t mate with GT40 heads later on, or that they don’t work too well (efficiency/power) when the Powerdyne graces the engine bay. My knowledge on this stuff isn’t the best, so if some of the stuff that I’ve said above is complete bullshit, or if I’m missing some important features/mods which need doing to make the above all work, please point this out to me, & hit me with a big stick until I know better!

What I’d like from my EB is a tough, blown streeter, daily driven! Also, I currently get 500+km per tank, and would like 350+ (pref 400+) km per tank after it is supercharged so that I’m not filling up after every trip.

Cheers guys,

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2005, 17:14   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: Modding the EB (finally!), any advice for me?

Firstly, I run Pacemaker PH4000 extractors on my Vortech setup and they seem good, fit on the E7 and GT40P heads too. Cam, look at the Crane 2031 that was designed for small blowers and works really well in NA engines too and no chip required until you get the blower. As for the MAF, you don't have to run the one supplied with the CAPA kits, I already had a 75mm Pro-M MAF so I just kept that and instead of running it in a blow through setup after the blower like CAPA does, I rad it as a suck through MAF fitted down by the pod filter.

I have done similar to what you are planning, rebuilt the engine with ported GT40Ps, Cobra intake, TB etc etc then went for a vortech blower. Personally if I did it again I would probably just wack on a blower in the first place and be done with it. It is also a lot easier to tune with the CAPA chip, with all the other mods I did to my car before the blower, the CAPA chip would not work for me so I am now fitting an aftermarket computer system. Also the money you save from not doing the heads etc could be put towards upgrading to a Vortech blower which are a lot stronger and can put out more boost, on a stock engine with exhaust the vortechs are putting out 220-240rwkw.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 23:30   #3 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Ooooh I see your wisdom there! So your philosophy is:

Why improve the NA side of things and sink quality dollars there, and get a lower grade supercharger so that the car (with its hardware) is at or near its max power capacity, when...

I could simply neglect the NA side of things and get a kickarse supercharger that'll give roughly the same power (if not a little less) output as the Powerdyne + NA mods, but will cost way less... (and leave the engine <and tuneable supercharger> open for mods 5 years down the track if I still have the car)

I like it, I never thought about it that way!

So EDXR8, I'm assuming you had the blower fitted by the CAPA boys? (esp since the oil lines needed tapping... I'm no mechanic but the Vortech unit sounds more difficult to attach than the Powerdyne one). If it was fitted by them, if you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back?

I googled the PH4000 extractors & came up with $600. Sounds reasonable to me! (and gives me an idea of their worth when asking at local exhaust shops... so they don't rip me off). Methinks I'll take your advice and get those extractors, a twin 2 1/2 inch exhaust, and the Vortech unit later on in the year when I can afford it (around november?)

I can't believe I didn't look at it from the other way! By getting the Vortech first it would be much cheaper (and quicker) for me to attain the power/torque figures I'm after.

I've got a question regarding your intake though: what kind of intake do you have/comes with the Vortech kit?

Thanks for all your info so far mate!

-Dave-
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Old 01-09-2005, 23:33   #4 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Damn I knew I forgot two other questions:

Does it come with/need higher pressure injectors?

Does the fuel pump need upgrading too? (if I am to leave the NA components stock)

Thanks

-Dave-
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Old 01-09-2005, 23:56   #5 (permalink)

I fitted the kit myself, I don't trust mechanics on my car. The oil lines are tough if you leave the engine in the car, I took mine out for a quick rebuild and new cam. You can just get a mechanic to tap the oil line for you and then fit the rest yourself but it does take a lot of work. Fitting I would imagine would cost $500-1000 as it would probably take a mechanic a day and a bit to fit.

Regarding the intake, I guess you mean air intake piping, not the intake manifold itself. The air intake for the CAPA kits comes from a pod filter mounted in the front bumper. A hole is cut through the passenger side fender and the 3.5" intake pipe is routed through there to the pod.

The fuel side of things all come in the kit. I believe the Vortech kit comes with 24lb injectors and a rising rate regulator which increases fuel pressure with boost. You can also go for some larger 42lb injectors and aftermarket computer system which will give more power and relaibility but also costs about $2k more. The kit also comes with a Vortech booster fuel pump.

As I said I had done all the NA upgrades, heads, intake, TB, cam etc, but when I took a friends stock XR8 fitted with a basic powerdyne kit I was absolutly amazed and ordered mine the next week. I was initially just going to install a Powerdyne but after a lot of discussion with CAPA and others decided on the Vortech for power and reliability reasons. I don't regret doing the NA upgrades first because that is giving me a lot more power in the end but as I said before, if I did it again I would just throw a Vortech kit on straight away, I mean 240rwkw should be enough to keep most people happy.

Here are some pics of my install, still working to finish it off.

Vortech V2 Blower

CAPA kit

Air intake

Installed
Old 01-10-2005, 01:02   #6 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Ohhhhhhh those pictures are inspiring!

I'd be quite happy to pay $500-$1000 for fitting, I was expecting anything up to $2000 to be reasonable (I'm new to modding though so prices are a gut feel for me), but $500-$1000 is very encouraging for me to get it fitted.

Yes, by "intake" I meant the intake snorkel (if any, or pod filter in your case) and piping before going thru the blower, MAF, TB, and intake manifold. That setup (thru the fender, behind the bumper) looks very effective! Is any rustproofing applied to the cut hole? Or is a grommet/ring of some sort fitted around the cut area?

As for the $2k extra for the better injectors & engine management, I think I'll treat that as one of the *next* steps after supercharging. Unless the taxman and/or tattslotto treats me well that is

So... I think this will be the order in which I do things:

1) Exhaust & PH4000 extractors
2) 3.73 diff gears & speed calibration gear
3) minor touch ups (paint)
4) Tyres/wheels. I'll go for 15x8.5s all round
5) ***Supercharger***
6) Supercharger/NA mods/brakes that I can afford afterwards!

Thanks for your informative (and prompt!) reply mate

-Dave-
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Old 01-10-2005, 01:10   #7 (permalink)

After I cut the hole in the fender I painted the bare metal with just black paint, then fitted the plastic edging which CAPA supplies. And yeah the aftermarket computer and large injectors can come later when you start doing other mods.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:26   #8 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Great, looks like I'd better "start" saving now!

I live with my parents (and will do so until I finish uni, I used to live with my gf but we split up & I gave her all the furniture), and they won't accept board from me so I basically save all the money that I earn, except for fuel which will set me back a paltry $40 per week when I go back to uni.

I've been saving since I moved back home in late October, so all of this year's HECS fees have been saved up already (as of last week), and I only owe my parents a couple of hundred dollars for last semester's HECS fees which they helped me out with when I was renting with the ex. So, any $$$ I make from now until the end of this year is play money, hence my desire to mod the EB. I should have $2.5k, maybe $3k by late feb, but will probably leave $1k as a "safety buffer" and just stick to exhaust, extractors & diff for now (late feb).

I'm working two jobs over summer (70 hours a week until the end of january, then 50 hours a week until mid feb, then 20 hours a week until november while at uni) and I'm "economical" when it comes to spending money on myself with things like junk food, grog, movies, etc. So saving isn't a problem for me. I should manage to save $200 per week while at uni, and don't have any expenses (apart from HECS) coming up until the end of the year (birthdays, xmas, rego, insurance). I'm so tiiiiiiiiight with the money$$$$

-Dave-
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Old 01-10-2005, 01:50   #9 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

One more thing I forgot to ask was about the spark plug lead angles... I know this has been answered in threads in the past, but I cannot recall any thread (& the search button sucks!)

When the extractors are fitted, could I simply purchase new *compatible* leads?

-Dave-
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Old 01-10-2005, 02:14   #10 (permalink)

The angle of the spark plug leads really depends on the heads. The stock E7's run a 135 degree spark plug lead, you only have to change these to 90 degree if you upgrade to GT40P heads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech