modern V8 conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2001, 03:02   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

modern V8 conversion

hey guys

would a modern injected 5.0 V8 bolt up to the engine mounts in my XP? i currently have a 302 windsor.

would this converson be worth while? i am looking for a power increase but still want good fuel economy and relaibility. are there any unexpected hassiles that might pop up in this conversion.

any information will be very apprecaited

thanks

callum
callum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2001, 06:07   #2 (permalink)
GTHO4

You have an old 302 Windsor in your XP which the block is thicker than the late 302's... I would keep what you have.
You can try and find some second hand EFI manifold and all the other hardware that goes with it, would be a lesser expense than buying a late model EFI engine.
Old 11-24-2001, 16:46   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I have seen some fairly cheap H.O motors imported from U.S .The inlet has to face to the drivers side though,they have a bend[latter model] on them that faces to the front.Being that it's not original it wouldn't matter should fit as they do it that way as retro in U.S.Then you'll need wire loom and ecu... Check out prices first.. They fit !! ring suburban imports [02] 9905 8288
Ford efi parts are not cheap !! depends on $$$$'s
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 22:48   #4 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Yes the blocks are the same externally as any 289/302. It's true they are weaker than your old 302(depending how old it actually is). In fact a late 5.0 block is 24lbs lighter than the old 302 block.
The factory engineering rating is only 350hp for the late block and 500hp for the old one.
It sounds like you're after a mild combo so the late block will do you fine.

The conversion is fairly straight forward(Ive done an XK ute and an XP delivery). There can be clearance problems with the serpentine drive accessories. Less desirable but otherwise an option is to switch to the old V-belt timing cover/pump assembly that you already have. It's a good idea to move the battery to the boot to free up room for the MAF/Air cleaner assy.

It is a very worthwhile conversion.

Check out my old XR conversion. It was a 351W but most of it still applies to yours.
http://www.trueblueford.com/66'XRfalconEFI351wconversion.htm

Pete.
Old 12-08-2005, 17:55   #5 (permalink)
pkf

Re: modern V8 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by callum

callum
I have recently fitted a fuel injected v8 to an XP two door.
It is quite expensive but well worth it .fuel injected winsors were used up to the AU falcon so they are fairly easy to come buy.It is best to buy a motor with all the wireing looms computer etc out of the same vehicle.Keep in mind that you will still have to keep using the C4 auto unless gearbox tunnel is to be modified .The computer must be out of a manual trans mission unless you want to fit a selector position switch to the vehicle,you will also require a hi pressure external fuel pump witch can be expensive but i have found using a vl commodore pump does the same job as other alternatives.You will need to use the old engine side mounts on the new v8 .A kit for fitting this type of motor is available from castlemaine rod shop.good luck pks
pkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:10   #6 (permalink)

Re: modern V8 conversion

Cheapest way to do this..
goto the damaged car auctions and buy a complete unit...last one i did was 1200 for a donor car (rolled)

We even swapped the ABS (that was a biut expensive have a diff modified) and cruise control.

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech