More leaks than the Titanic! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2004, 21:47   #1 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

More leaks than the Titanic!

Got a 2031 cam, RR and Rollmaster fitted a couple of months ago. Within a week or so we noticed oil leaking from everywhere.

At first there was so much oil it was hard to tell where it was coming from due to oil creep, wind spray etc. After cleaning in down it appears to be coming from the rear main (amazing for a car this old), the front seal and some parts of the sump gasket.

What on earth could be causing the engine to start leaking all over the place. The only thing changed was the cam, timing chain and RRs. I've inspected the PCV valve and everything seems OK... I've even given it a good clean with carby cleaner but it hasn't made any difference.

I have noticed that the oil pressure is still OK though not quite as high as it once was (before mods) - showing a little over half way on the guage. It does take a bit longer for the pressure gauge to show oild pressure though... takes aproximately 30 secs for the gauge to slowing increase its reading to normal. Whereas I remember this taking only half that time before the cam change.

I don't want to go to the huge expense of changing rear main seal and gaskets etc and finding whatever is causing the problem isn't fixed. The labor costs are too prohibitive to do it for nothing or worse... do it twice

I'm getting desperate... any ideas guys?
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2004, 00:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: More leaks than the Titanic!

I have found time and time again that when a mechanic pulls somthing apart the chances of jim getting it back together and right first time are slim. I had ford fit an engine just over a year ago and the oil leaks were too numerous to count. EVERY rocker cover bolt, couple places somewhere behind manifold, oil sump gasket, dipstick base and more. If you do have to pull it out i'd be aiming the blame square at the mechanic firstly.
Oh this also provides a good excuse for new heads and manifold to SAVE on labour.
(just trying to see the silver lining for you).

Your cam change will have reduced vaccum and oil pressure a lil bit (i think). I think its just a problem with the install and the mechanic needs to fix it. He would have removed the sump and so on and caused the problem in the refit. maybe he didn't clean of the old gasket surfaces properly. lack of proper bolt tightening and so on.
P.S. sorry i missed you up on the coast recently mate.
TKTDSGM Member

Last edited by AU2XLSV8; 08-01-2004 at 00:52. Reason: shocking spelling :P
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 01:04   #3 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Thanks Tom, but the strange thing is none of these leak points (except the front seal) were interfered with, if you know what mean. The engine stayed in the car when the cam was changed.

A number of people have looked at it and I've heard rear main; rear main and sump; sump; rear main, sump and front seal... so every combination. The one thing I do know is that everyone I've taken it to has just shrugged their shoulders.

I'll ring the mechanic again tomorrow morning and have another chat. Might get it in as soon as I can and get him to just 'deal with it'. Subject to cost, I'll might get him to do the heads and lower intake while the car is off the road and in the shop.

That's it then... no more mods.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:45   #4 (permalink)

Thats what we all say!!!

Yeah best to get it fixed mate. Are you going to port the existing???
for budget i would prolly be looking that way. don't forget to match port the upper to the lower manifold. I'm at a loss as to what i want to do next. new heads and intake would be ideal and i can sell the rest for good $$$
What do you recon i can get for my ported gt40's with 1.7 r/r's and manifold?
On the other hand i may just port the intake for the lil extra power.
But if i go heads i will be able to get compression down and then add boost.
GRRRRR this ride is making me sick. Too many sharp turns!
TKTDSGM Member
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 02:30   #5 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Yeah, I know... but I kinda like my wife and my house - need to refocus (unless a cheap intake comes along - ahhh!... see what you made me do!). I will port match the existing heads and intake to match the 1250 Felpro gasket.

The GT40Ps should fetch you $1100 to $1300 I guess. A few hundred for the RRs and $500 or so for the intake I think. Stop flying around the countryside and go and buy what you know you're going to sometime anyway (then ring me as I might take your old bits off you hands to experiment with, hehe).
Old 08-01-2004, 02:38   #6 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

There must be pressure building up in your crank case and not getting out.
There is this steel scourer looking stuff in the lower intake manifold underneath the PCV valve that is probably blocked up with oil and crap. I think it is there to separate the oil before going into the manifold.You could try spraying carb cleaner down there if you can get to it.might have to take the upper manifold off to get to it.
Besides the oil leaks I recon you want to get ported heads and lower any way (hehe!)
Old 08-01-2004, 05:07   #7 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

any reason why your post is ultra small dodgie? my eyes arnt that good lol
Old 08-01-2004, 06:02   #8 (permalink)
Pro-M Distributor

Normally when a cam and timing chain is done with the motor in the car, the timing case cover is removed and the sump is dropped down on the front to get the chain and sprocket off. I would say that your mechanic has done it this way and not used fresh gaskets on the sump (normally they are just siliconed back up and if it has oil on the faces no chance of sealing it 100%) The oil would be coming from the front and dripping down to the rear of the motor - the rear main seal would not have just gone... You will find leaks like this every time someone does a cam in the car (I know - I have fallen into this trap with my workshop).
Take it back to where the work was done and ask them nicely to fix the leaks you have paid them to give you - do not pay to get it repaired...
Shane

The 2 drag racers addages
1. If you are in control - you haven't got enough Horse Power...
2. If you throw it up in the air and it comes down - It's too heavy...

My Toys:
1998 NL FBT 033, Blue
1996 NL V8 Fairlane Ghia, YBESLO White, Grey trim, 16" V5 Simmons, LOW

Squeezed is nice, stroked is good, blown is unbeliveable - but all 3 is heaven
MrLandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:51   #9 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry_v
any reason why your post is ultra small dodgie? my eyes arnt that good lol
I cut and pasted this from an e-mail I sent to AUGhiaV8, just to share my thoughts, so the size may vary a little.
Is this a problem for your 18yr old eyes?
I know of a cause for blindness in young males, if you are concerned.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:58   #10 (permalink)
347 cubic power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgie
I know of a cause for blindness in young males, if you are concerned.
Ha! That is a bit rich from a guy who's last avatar was from www.fullpull.com
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech