More power from my AU XR8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2005, 02:32   #1 (permalink)

More power from my AU XR8

G'day guys i have a 99 AU XR8 5 speed stock standard except for exhaust it has 102,000 k's on it i took it to WSID couple of months back and in 8 runs i had a best time of 15.01 and a worst of 15.2.
So what im after is what can you guys suggest i get done to it to drop my times to hi 13's low 14's im thinking of having 3.9 gears put in the diff at a later date i have a budget of around $3-4000.
Also i have to get a new manifold as my original one is cracked should i buy a standard or go aftermarket.
mattlea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2005, 04:33   #2 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Re: More power from my AU XR8

Is the upper manifold damaged? How bad is it, perhaps it could be repaired? An aftermarket unit is going to cost about a grand for a decent one and it wont be much better than the Explorer type you have.

For the money you suggest I'd look at a cam, some roller rockers and some computer tuning, preferably custom done with that EECV edit if it gets released.

Alternatively forget all that and just get a set of AFR 165 heads and some rockers to match. It'll take your whole budget but they are awesome heads which give you a much better mid and top end without sacrificing torque down low. A good head/intake combo is the best base to work from if you are going to build up the car over time.

What were your 60ft times and MPH at WSID by the way?
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:37   #3 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

$4k might get you to the mid to low 14's, to get into the 13's you will need a fair bit more money than that IMO as you will have to go for a stroker or supercharger.

Firstly if you have to remove the manifold then get yourself an aftermetrket one like an edelbrock. A cam change is the next thing I would look at, and having the manifold off is already a good way there. Look at a Crane 2031/2030 cam or somethign like the TFS1. To go with it, you will need some new valve springs, retainers and some roller rockers. Then yeah some decent gears in the diff will help, 3.9's if it is an auto or 3.7's for manuals. Once that is all done, get a custom tuned chiptorque or unichip and you will be close to 200rwkw and capable of a low 14 sec pass, maybe dip into the 13's.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:04   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlea1
G'day guys i have a 99 AU XR8 5 speed stock standard except for exhaust it has 102,000 k's on it i took it to WSID couple of months back and in 8 runs i had a best time of 15.01 and a worst of 15.2.
So what im after is what can you guys suggest i get done to it to drop my times to hi 13's low 14's im thinking of having 3.9 gears put in the diff at a later date i have a budget of around $3-4000.
Also i have to get a new manifold as my original one is cracked should i buy a standard or go aftermarket.
HI, I GOT A 2000 AU XR8 UTE 5 SPEED WITH TWIN 2 1/2 EXHAUST, UNI CHIP COMPUTER, 1.72:1 ROCKERS, SS AIR SNORKEL AND MODED AIR BOX. FORGET THE UNICHIP AS IT ONLY GIVES ABOUT 10HP FOR $1495. FORGET SS INDUCTION SNORKEL, ITS GOOD FOR NOTHING. 1.72 ROCKERS ARE GOOD AT $595 FOR 12HP WITH A 3/8 HEAT SPACER IN THE MANIFOLD. FIT A K+N FLAT PANEL FILTER WITH A 70mm HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE AIRBOX FOR ABOUT 12HP FOR $120. GO FOR A TUNE OF THE STANDARD COMPUTER AS IV HERD THESE ARE BETTER AT ABOUT $800. STICK WITH THE STD 3.45 GEARS AND TRY AND GET MORE TORQUE. WELL THATS MY 2cents . THANKS,,GLEN
xrglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:16   #5 (permalink)

Heads, cam, throttle body and some roller rockers is where I would put my money.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 14:08   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guys now i just need to find a workshop in Sydney who is interested in doing the work as some guys i have spoken to dont seem to keen on doing the job so any reccomendations would be appreciated.
By the way the 60 foot times at WSID were between 2.18 and 2.25 secs
mattlea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 20:38   #7 (permalink)

You could try for a similar setup to this. This is a 220 xr8 to start with tho.

got my xr8 dynoed yesterday
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech