My new old Windsor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2004, 16:31   #1 (permalink)
Old Fart

confused My new old Windsor

Well today i pick up the engine for my old oil burner hilux. I have a few questions i need to ask.

the motor is a 302W (1968) with 2V heads. the bloke who i bought the engine off doesnt know its origin, it was in a XF ute when he bought it. it hasnt run for 2 years and has been sitting in his shed under a tarp. apart from changing the oil then turning the engine over without firing it, what should i look out for?

another thing that has me intrigued is when he took the tappet covers of. all the rocker gear was spotless no crap oil build up or anything like that, i also wiped my finger in the exhaust ports and they were almost spotless.
can i be safe to assume that the engine has been rebuilt. im going to do a compresson once i get some exhaust manifolds and maybe drop the heads off as i need to find out if they have put new valves and hardened seats in.

Plan is to run it on LPG. should make for good fun in my manual hilux.

1 other thing i need to ask. the ute currently does about 2900rpm @100ks while not ideal, and probably going to use more fuel can anyone see a problem with this.

cheers
mick

XG S-Pack Longreach. Manual
boy am i happy
muttaburra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2004, 02:39   #2 (permalink)
slikxb

Re: My new old Windsor

Are ya gunna run a valve lube with that dry LPG ? Morey's is a good one. You'll need it.
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:34   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I have a set of efi e7 heads if you want done 20,000..So every one else will chime in now!!!
Fit up g/box -auto so you can crank engine over.You don't need manifolds to check compression, though it helps if engine is warm..If it looks good I'd take the risk and fit it.. After all anything that will wear in time will have to be replaced anyway when hardened valves are put in or latter efi heads.....Check rear seal,frost/welsh plugs.. Actually check spark plugs for carbon build up? If clean it should have good ring seal etc...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:33   #4 (permalink)

If it is a windsor block with 2V heads, If the heads are cleveland 2V close chamber heads your motor is a old 302 Boss engine (Very Rare). this is the best combo for revs and HP.
Boss Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech