My NF Fairlane is too slow - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2005, 19:05   #1 (permalink)

My NF Fairlane is too slow

I have a 95 NF Fairlane Ghia which is our family car.I would really like to get it going better but my wife doesn't want me to "waist" money on a family car.I would really like to get it going a lot better but need a cheap way of doing this.I had a ZC Fairlane with a fully worked 351 (400+horses)in it and had to sell it because of starting the family and am really missing the power.I was wondering if there are any US mods that we here in Australia can use.I see their prices are alot cheaper than here.Also what mods can I do to get it around the 220kw mark and what mods will be needed to be done to trany and diff to handle the power gains.
Thanks in advance
syco26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 20:13   #2 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Re: My NF Fairlane is too slow

Welcome to the Forums!

There are several things which can wake up your NF:

1) Different heads. I think the Fairlanes have E7 heads? I'm arranging to buy some GT40-P heads which are off an AU (although there are other brands such as AFR and Trickflow, etc). If you do a search in the Windsor section here you'll be able to find plenty of info on all kinds of heads for the 5.0.

2) Different intake manifold. The HO manifold is a piece of asthmatic poo. Replace it! I've got a set of Explorer manifolds awaiting fitting... I'm going to get them done the same time as my heads.

3) Throttle body and MAF. Restrictive on a standard 5.0! Replace :p

4) Cam. There are many cams which go well with the 5.0, and I'm lead to believe that the standard one is OK if you stick with your standard gearing and don't go overboard with engine mods. I'm going to go for a Crane 2031 cam. I have know the theory behind lift, duration, etc, but not the numbers involved.

5) Diff gears. 3.27 are a tad slooooow off the mark, especially with the crazy 1st gear. Try 3.45, 3.7, 3.9 or 4.11 gears for a bit more get up 'n' go! Beware of anything above 3.7 though, I've heard that "torque reduction" comes in after then, thru the ECU or something like that. Then again you might not want to be cruising at 3000rpm down the highway with crazy diff gears, hahaha

I think the auto box can happily cope with 220kw, unless you mean 220rwkw!

The best thing to do is to look around the Forums (and this Windsor section in particular) to pick up all kinds of info & advice.

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 21:45   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that Dave.I have been reading through the Windsor section and have picked abit up so far.Most of the mods you spoke of are relatively expencive though if I'm correct.Might have to bite the bullet and slowly sneak some coin out of the house for mods with out the wife noticing(very hard task).
I have heard that simple things like cold air induction and pod air filters can improve the performance - is this true or are the gains not worth even mentioning?Also I know this is probably matter of ones tastes but what is the best extractor and exhaust for the 5.0windsor?I have heard Lukey are pretty good but very pricey and not sure if they are just overated and priced so.
Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2005, 22:02   #4 (permalink)

Also Dave you said to get Explorer manifolds.Do you mean that they are actually off the Ford Explorer?What years of the Explorer came with a V* here?Do you have any links to sites that deal with the Explorer manifolds and the GT40P heads?
Thanks again Carl
Old 03-30-2005, 23:56   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by syco26
Also Dave you said to get Explorer manifolds.Do you mean that they are actually off the Ford Explorer?What years of the Explorer came with a V* here?Do you have any links to sites that deal with the Explorer manifolds and the GT40P heads?
Thanks again Carl
From AU on that engine came from the Explorer as the ohc [Mod] motor was used in 95 in Mustangs...
You could try just, good exhaust [atleast extractors] inlet and maf with 3.45 diff ratio at a budget get up and go.. Then heads,throttle body...You have a heavier car so low end torque is still required...The lower diff will compliment induction mods...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:07   #6 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Hi syco26

I think Ghia5L summed it up pretty well. At the end of the day (I hate that phrase) it comes down to deciding the actual value of the performance gain vs the cost of the mod. Unfortunately there isn't a man alive (ok, ok... or woman) who has the 'this mod equals that gain' all documented as they all get leverage off each other and are dependant upon so many external factors.

The first thing to decide is how much is enough!... what do you want to spend?

Once that is sorted the rest is easier. Only my opinion, however if funding was 'progressive' I'd go for;

Tickford air intake [about $30?] - make your own little air dam to deflect otherwise wasted airflow up into the intake.

Underdrive pullies [$130?]

Beer!

Exhaust headers and whatever else after so long as it is high flow (single 3" or twin whatever... up to you) [$700 and up... I have Pacemakers and Lukey 2 x 2 1/4 and LOVE them]

AU Explorer intake manifold [$600ish]... yes, yes, yes I know I have one FOR SALE but please note that I didn't put this first in the list! {however, please take heed of what Ghia5L said above}

MAF (at the same time as the intake if possible) - at least a 65mm AU item [umm $200ish] (oh dear, I think I have one of those lying around too!) No need to go bigger at all unless you are chasing "okay... that scared me a little power".

Roller Rockers - 1.6 or 1.7 depending on the match to cam [$400 to $600]

More beer!

Cam - Crane 2031 is usual fare otherwise pleanty of more aggressive cams around. However, no need to go bigger at all unless you are chasing "okay... that 'gave me a hard-on' power".

Heads... start with GT40Ps off an AU [$1100 to $1600 based on recent sales]... a fantastic (and highly under-rated head) or many $$$$$$ alloys beyond that.

A keg of beer!

Supercharger... well, you know (sell you children!)

and last but not least...... Meguire's leather treatment - slide and squeak in the drivers set as if you have 300rwkw on tap!

OK... way too much wine for AUGhiaV8 now - must eat and go to bed!
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech