Need driveline advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2005, 18:37   #1 (permalink)

Need driveline advice

Fellas,

I have recently done heaps of mods to my 289 67 mustang. Heads street ported, CC'd and fitted with 351w valves and heavy springs. Bolted on a Performer RPM intake, added a 600 vs carbie, electronic ignition. The cam specs are 226/226 @50 Duration and 455/455 LIFT (advertised 2500-5500 powerband). The diveline consists of a stock stall, pre '70 C4 gearbox and 8" with 2.75:1 or so diff.

Obviously the driveline doesn't handle this combo very well so I wanted get some advice/experience as to the best setup for the engine combo. The car is a daily driver (in a big country town) but I like to do about 200 kms of highway travelling a week. I was thinking of 2200-2500 rpm stallie, shift kit and about 3.25:1 diff gears. I would like to keep the current stall without change but I don't think it is terribly feasable.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2005, 20:14   #2 (permalink)

Re: Need driveline advice

Its a very mild combo. With lots of highway driving, i would just change the diff to 3.00. Leave the convertor alone
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 20:53   #3 (permalink)

I agree with Racer, you have a perfect combo. for the street. Only thing I could suggest try a slightly taller tyre , is easier than changeing diff gears , most speed shops have formulas on different tyre sizes and diff ratio's.

Cheers
460BBXW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 21:07   #4 (permalink)

With the above driveline it really struggles off the line, heaps worse then when everything was stock. I thought that a mild converter around 2200 (stock is 1800) this might improve things. Problem with when you raise the stall, apparently there are issues when cruising the highway if the cruise rpm is lower than when full stally lock. This makes raising the gear ratio a necessity, which makes fuel consumption go way up (which right now would be regrettable with the way fuel prices are going).
Old 03-23-2005, 21:59   #5 (permalink)

Put a manual in it.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~two89w/
347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 23:17   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Change diff ratio and it'll solve your problems...
2.75 to 3.08 even 3.27..You may be able to get complete disc to disc set up from latter model ute or station wagon? Rpm will be around 2200 @ 100 kph.. approx with 3.27 ratio... Or 1800 rpm with overdive box....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:16   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347
Put a manual in it.
I strongly agree with this...but thats my opinion and many others or yourself may not.Also,just by changing your Diff Ratio to 3.25:1 alone will make a big improvent.This will work fine with your current set-up and you should try this without doing a Hi-Stall if you wish to stay practical IMO.I believe that 3.55:1 will keep your engine reving a little to high on long trips if you are running a 1:1 final drive ratio in yout Transmission and although 3.00:1 would be a respectable improvement on your ultra cruisy and poor take off 2.75:1 current Ratio and also run well on long trips...It will still be comparitevely spongier off the line than a 3.25:1 Ratio. Fitting a 3.25:1 Diff Ratio is a good balance of take off and top speed and/or freeway driving,without tipping the scales to far either way to cause any major concern IMO.
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 13:42   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeh
I strongly agree with this...but thats my opinion and many others or yourself may not.Also,just by changing your Diff Ratio to 3.25:1 alone will make a big improvent.This will work fine with your current set-up and you should try this without doing a Hi-Stall if you wish to stay practical IMO.I believe that 3.55:1 will keep your engine reving a little to high on long trips if you are running a 1:1 final drive ratio in yout Transmission and although 3.00:1 would be a respectable improvement on your ultra cruisy and poor take off 2.75:1 current Ratio and also run well on long trips...It will still be comparitevely spongier off the line than a 3.25:1 Ratio. Fitting a 3.25:1 Diff Ratio is a good balance of take off and top speed and/or freeway driving,without tipping the scales to far either way to cause any major concern IMO.
I was half thinking as much. As it is a 8 inch, the crown and pinion alone is $800 so I might as well go the 9 inch conversion. This is a bit of an investment so I wanted some other opinions. I probably should have gone the milder cam but now that it is nice and lumpy and sounds like a real V8 I can't go back. I wasn't sure if I should go the full 3.55 but the 3.25 sounds about right. This also alows me to go with a nice high stall as well. There is heaps of slippage in the current one (it is 38 years old prob untouched) though I might just get it recoed if the gearing works out. It should also allow to me flog a few of the wank ricers at my work.
Old 03-24-2005, 16:47   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

If want to keep unsprung weight down, the latter diff in E series on are fairly tuff..has the correct ratio as well....just need to weld on leaf spring attachments....This diff is also in the XR8 and Sprints, Gt's etc...
Check width...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:21   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
If want to keep unsprung weight down, the latter diff in E series on are fairly tuff..has the correct ratio as well....just need to weld on leaf spring attachments....This diff is also in the XR8 and Sprints, Gt's etc...
Check width...
Never thought about this one. Sounds good. I don't plan to increase cubes for the the forseeable future (damn fuel prices too high) so I don't necessarily need to go for the chunky nine inch. It is more about a parts thing if I was to swap which shouldn't be a problem with E series falcs. Thanks for the replies chaps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech