Need quick help...my 289 is running real rough and spluttering! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2005, 02:55   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Need quick help...my 289 is running real rough and spluttering!

Just started happening this afternoon and it hasnt gone away this time...its happened before and just fixed itself after a little rev or two...but this time its stayed.

It just started running really rough and stalling on gas, and it hardly accelerated at all and this happened when i was in heavy traffic and going up a hill...not good! It hardly went, just coughed heaps and ran like a bucket of puss. So i switched it over to petrol thinking it may have been a gas thing and it ran okay then but still noticably rough.

Any idea what this could be so i can fix it quickly and get to work alright tomorrow?
Young Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2005, 05:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: Need quick help...my 289 is running real rough and spluttering!

You could have a vacuum leak? Your points in the distributor could be no good,or need filing and re-adjusting?Hopefully it's not your timing chain...goodluck!! It's hard to diagnose over the computer?
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:37   #3 (permalink)
Racecar Driver

id say check out your plugs and your accelerator pump on your carb. my truck ALWAYS sputtered terribly until i changed that, then it ran beautifully (for a motor with 250k). other than that, id say check your plugs. if those arent it, go with what lukeh said and check vaccuum
72 Ford F100- Edelbrock Cam (lift .460/.480, duration 272/282), Edelbrock Carb (4bbl 850 cfm), Edelbrock Performer Intake (Single Plane), stock heads, stock exhaust manifolds, Flowmaster 40s coming as soon as its running.
78 Ford Granada/Mercury Monarch Stock Car- 351 Windsor, 6 point rollcage, 9inch 3.50s with full locker, Cooper Cobra tires, Open Exhaust, heads and cam secret
ford_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:37   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Angus
Just started happening this afternoon and it hasnt gone away this time...its happened before and just fixed itself after a little rev or two...but this time its stayed.

It just started running really rough and stalling on gas, and it hardly accelerated at all and this happened when i was in heavy traffic and going up a hill...not good! It hardly went, just coughed heaps and ran like a bucket of puss. So i switched it over to petrol thinking it may have been a gas thing and it ran okay then but still noticably rough.

Any idea what this could be so i can fix it quickly and get to work alright tomorrow?
COULD BE YOUR GAS CONVERTER IS FREEZING UP OR HAS A WATER TO GAS CORROSION LEAK. BUT I COULD BE WRONG!
xrglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:21   #5 (permalink)

Well the points and rotor button got replaced first because the mechanic said it was arcing through the button...that didnt do anything.

Then i replaced all the plugs and leads today...still nothing.

And now its running terribly on petrol too so i dont think its the gas converter. Think ill check the vacuum stuff next, although it could be a problem in the dizzy because the base plate is worn and has been for some time...could even be the rotor cap...but one thing is pretty certain and that is that its missing or doing something like that because it backfired on gas the other day and you can feel it missing sparks when idling and with the revs up.
Old 12-03-2005, 16:43   #6 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Something like this happened to me. occasional miss fire, more so under load .one day i went to over take a car and lost 3-4 cylinders .
The intake manifold bolts had loosened causing a intermittent vacum leak.
Old 12-03-2005, 20:39   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302xm
Something like this happened to me. occasional miss fire, more so under load .one day i went to over take a car and lost 3-4 cylinders .
The intake manifold bolts had loosened causing a intermittent vacum leak.
Hmmm thats very interesting...i think ill go and try that out...
Old 12-04-2005, 03:46   #8 (permalink)

Well, i did check the inlet manifold bolts and all of them were so loose it wasnt funny, some were just finger tight! So i tightened them with a torque wrench to the specifications in my original ford XR manual and took it for a drive and it seemed like it was a magic fix, the problem had gone away! So i drove it for a bit, stopped, then took it out again and for the real test switched it over to gas and at first it was great so i thought WHOO HOO its fixed, but then the next time i started it after it had cooled for a couple of hours again it was starting on gas (which is never a problem) and the problem just came back out of nowhere!

Any ideas?
Old 12-04-2005, 04:16   #9 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Was the miss always there and then went away after you retorqued them
check to see if there still torqued to spec.
I would buy some new gaskets, if the bolts were that loose it would be like reusing old ones when you tightened them up .
Its also a good idea to retorque once the engine has gone through a heat cycle.
good luck!
Old 12-10-2005, 21:19   #10 (permalink)

Well i retorqued after a heat cycle and it didnt change anything, but i dont have new gaskets...however i dont think its that anymore.

Someone else analysed it for a bit and said it definitely sounded like an electrical miss, and my dizzy has a bit of slack in it so i think its time for a new dizzy. A friend of mine said it was probably the carby but it runs even worse on gas so its probably not the carby is it?

Im gonna go with the dizzy for now because that would affect both the petrol and gas performance...although after my friend stuffed around with the idle mixtures yesterday now its backfiring on bloody petrol when its going up hills and trying to accelerate faster. Dont know if ill let him near the car again in a hurry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech