Need Some HELP with a 302W Build - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2004, 06:42   #1 (permalink)
TD_2_NV

biggrin Need Some HELP with a 302W Build

Hi All,

Currently trying to get my act together on my motor...can some one help with some Tech specs? This is what I've got .....

Engine: 302 Windsor (Currently being Re-Built and Bored to 30thou over), Edelbrok "Torker" Intake Manifold, Holley 670 "Street Avenger" 4 barrel carby, 14" Airforce1 Air Cleaner, Ford Motorsport Alloy Rocker Covers.Transmission & Diff: Going with T5 and 9" (LSD ?) Extras: 100ltr Drop Tank with Holley Blue Electric Pump

Need advice on what sort of cam to run with this sort of set up as Edelbrock hasn't replied...

Hoping to put Extractors (Suggestion please) and a 2 1/2 Sport system

I'm only just learning as this is my first build and as the saying goes fore warned might save a heap of money

Regards

Tim (TD_2_NV)
TStewart_062@hotmail.com
TD_2_NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2004, 16:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: Need Some HELP with a 302W Build

What type of heads are they? Do you know what they flow?
What do you want from the car? A nice smooth cruiser or a dyno pig?
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:38   #3 (permalink)
TD_2_NV

frown Re: Need Some HELP with a 302W Build

Thanx Racer,

I bought the 302W with Std Bore and Std heads.

This is what I have been quoted for:

Strip Engine, Acid bath (Heads & Block), Crack Test & Deck Block, Line Hone Manifold & Heads, Bore, Hone & Fit 30 thou Pistons & Rings, Grind Crank, Re-size Conrods, Complete Balance inc New Harmonic Balancer, Service Head, Provide new Springs & Guides, ULP Seats, Core Plugs & Kit, Mains, Big End, Cam Bearing, Mild Cam (Prefer Crow), Lifters, Gear kit, Gaskets (Felpro), Oil Pump (C8), Provide New Timing Cover & Set, Intake Valves, Ex Valves, Springs and (S&D) Rockers, Spark Plugs. Assemble Motor.

So....anything I've missed? I wanting to put together a tough street cruiser

Regards

Tim
tstewart_062@hotmail.com
TD_2_NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 15:45   #4 (permalink)

what cr will the engine have?
firstly what type of driving, weight of car, type of fuel will it run?
when it comes choosing a cam u must know all of above, the cam is the heart of the engine, this make it tick. I have cams here that work well in heavy cars but will only produce power from 4500 rpm to 8200.
but as a street cruiser u will be looking for power band from 3500-7500 rpm especially with a single plane manifold.
u must get some large bore pacemaker extractors. ask for large primary they cots heaps more but will notice it. let me know what car its going in and if unleaded and what cr will it have, then i can find u the right cam.
Old 06-22-2004, 15:47   #5 (permalink)

as for the 9Inch ratios u shold go for 3.5 - 3.7 i have both ratios in motive gears for AU$ 300.00 a set
Old 06-22-2004, 18:59   #6 (permalink)

Consider the Competition HE268H-10 hydraulic lifter camshaft. It worked well for me. Good combination of torque, idle, good idle sound, and economy. Also, I'd recommend ARP connecting rod bolts. Stay with a good quality double-row timing chain. Go with a higher-volume oil pump. Have your distributor re-curved. Don't waste time/money with balancing unless you plan on running >7000 rpm. Add 1" carb spacer.
82 Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 19:28   #7 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

What year is the engine? Theres not much point in using a cam with more than.5" lift if the heads are std?, that also goes for the torker manifold and the 670 holley as well. It will look the part but will be a pig.

check the link below to get an idea of what you want.
Power Combinations
Once youve decided what you want/need you can go into the details.
302xm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 21:32   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 Boss
Consider the Competition HE268H-10 hydraulic lifter camshaft. It worked well for me. Good combination of torque, idle, good idle sound, and economy. Also, I'd recommend ARP connecting rod bolts. Stay with a good quality double-row timing chain. Go with a higher-volume oil pump. Have your distributor re-curved. Don't waste time/money with balancing unless you plan on running >7000 rpm. Add 1" carb spacer.
Good advice. Cam sounds about right too. No sense in going any larger with stock heads, which are the biggest cork in a Windsor.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:32   #9 (permalink)
blue66coupe

Is it a Torker or Torker II, if it's the latter especially sell it and get a performer rpm air-gap or crosswind (copy) top end will be better and low end will be MUCH better, throttle response will be greatly improved also. Torker II realy is a dog of a manifold, I use my old one as a door stop, works great. Edelbrock F4B works ok too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech