new to the 5.0 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 10:03   #1 (permalink)

new to the 5.0

Hey guys,

I have a chance to get a 86 5.0 out of a pickup. I was wondering if I could do away with the fuel injection, and go with a carb setup. Would this help or hinder the performance? By the way I want to put it in my 62 galaxie and get rid of the 292 y-block.
lteberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 10:33   #2 (permalink)

Re: new to the 5.0

It's not easy to swap from a Y-block to a Windsor block. In my opinion, I'd stick with the Y family and simply go bigger.
http://www.fordforums.com/f673/
If you're gonna keep the 302 idea, swap the cam, as those aren't too great from the factory. Get a 302HO truck/RV cam from Summit Racing and call it a day. It's a roller block in the '86, so make sure you get a hydraulic roller cam if you go with it.
The carb is easy to do, just get a 4bbl intake and a good Edelbrock carb (550-600cfm, no bigger).

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 00:59   #3 (permalink)

i dunno much about fitting it to a galaxy but the injection system u mite as well keep and run it it'll make more pwr more effeciently and doesnt need tuning once its set. like u can always change injectors get a chip etc but i'd get a whole new computer from the start like a wolf3d as ur gonna hav to change ova all the wiring neway.
ziggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 19:53   #4 (permalink)

Swapping carb to carb requires absolutely minimal wiring. Also, the F-150 wiring is probably not in the best of shape by now. If you want to keep it EFI, it can be done, but you'd want to swap the cylinder heads and cam so you can run HO specs an get a little actual power instead of the stock 150hp produced by the non-HO speed density-based 302.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech