new heads, need info - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 15:53   #1 (permalink)

new heads, need info

Hey there. I've got a 302 out of a mid 70's Ford F150 that I'm planning to stuff into a '68 mustang I'm in the process of restoring. The mustang is my first restore project and I'm finding out that I know a lot less than I thought I did. I'm putting Aluminum heads on the 302 and have a few questions:

1. What is the max valve diameter and lift I can use and keep the flattop pistons?

2. I've heard good things and bad things about ProComp heads but can't find much information on the web about them. Anyone out there have any first hand experience with these or know where I can find more information? From what I understand the company is based out of New Zealand so being in the US, I can't just call them up and ask questions, it's the middle of the night there. I'm specifically interested model number PC-3037.

3. regarding these procomp heads, Will they fit on my 70's block and does anyone know what intake valve size comes in this head and/or any other specs? I really can't find much specs on them, only this: 60cc combustion chamber and 190cc intake runner.

Any info would be much appreciated.
nealro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007, 20:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: new heads, need info

I guess I don't need to know the max valve diameter. More specifically, will a 2.02" or a 2.055" valve fit?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:02   #3 (permalink)
i'll never grow up

Twisted Wedge Aluminum Cylinder Heads for Small Block Ford

These will do you nicely
95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
gtcoupe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 20:26   #4 (permalink)

hey there and thanks for responding. I was beginning to wonder if anyone watched this forum. The twisted wedge heads were actually my second choice if I decided against the procomps. But after some more research and talking to my dad who is a machinist/mechanic I decided on the ProComp 3037 heads. I received them last week, they were only 530 bucks bare shipped to my door - I just couldn't pass them up for that price. And considering my dad would be able to do any machine work required on them, and I though it could squeeze in the 2.02 chevy valves in without changing the pistons I thought I'd give em a shot.
Old 04-23-2007, 23:53   #5 (permalink)
i'll never grow up

I would still check Piston to valve clearance.
And then you still have the option if they hit with the cam you have to flycut the pistons
95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
gtcoupe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech